1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some quick help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

later on today I'll be taking my Beretta 3901 over to the shop with me while I work on a few things, but here's my question, I was wondering if there are things I can do to this gun cheaply to make it more suitable for trap, remember, I'll be in the shop today so I have access to about any kind of machinery I need.

Smokey

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With an auto loader I like to add about 1 lb of weight to the gun. I make 2 8 oz weights shaped like a cylinder. I put one in the magazine tube in front of the spring and one in the butt stock. HMB

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

In trap, nothing beats a comb that brings your sight picture to a figure 8 pattern. I built a comb up on my first field 870 back in "ought 3". It did help a lot.

4. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I've been shooting trap since I was nine (11 years) I started with an 1100 but it was already built up, I usually shoot a 682 gold E that's got a custom stock and other good stuff, can't shoot it right now due to reasons I'd rather not talk about. I was more wondering if anyone had any cheap tricks to raise a stock, is synthetic so I'm not worried about messing any pretty wood up or anything, or making a shell catcher

Smokey

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Contact "TRON" here on this site....

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I know the 390's and 391's come with shim kits to adjust the point of impact. I'm not sure if the 3901's do, arn't they an economy version of the 390's ?? If so they might not have all the adjustment shims that a 390 or 391 has. If that is the case I would call someone like Cole's on the East coast or Bolsa Gunsmithing on the West coast to see if they can sell you the shim kit.

Tom Strunk

7. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Well I took it to the shop with me and here's what I've accomplished so far:
    1. placed a middle bead using a piece of shot
    2. used moleskin to raise comb
    3. turned shim upside down to raise POI more
    4. again used mole skin to make a palm swell

would it be possible to use bondo to make a more custom comb?

8. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I was also wondering if anyone has made a homemade shell catcher/deflector

Smokey

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Yes, it uses the same shim system as the 390/391. The only difference between the 3901 and 390 is that the 3901 does not have the magazine cut off and uses a composite (plastic) trigger housing similar to the 391. All parts interchange between the 3901 and 390.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Smokey - Tape some sheets of paper to the shop wall and test your POI.

Pat Ireland

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you have a field stock, sand the finish to bare wood, install 2 small wood screws in the top of the stock and buy some BONDO body plastic w/hardner from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto and build a Monte Carlo stock and file with an plastic file from Autozone or Advanced Auto to roegh it in then finish sand with an Black and Decker vibrating sander, keep checking the sight picture to obtain the one you want this may take a few hours but it is well worth it.

I have done several of these as most guns Monte Carlo stocks are too low for me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Yes Pat I've made sure to do that with my laser bore sighter, with the moleskin alone it was still almost completely flat, after turning the shim over it's right about the same as my 682.

Smokey

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'd worry about getting smacked in the cheekbone by a stock that has drop (comb has backwards slope towards the butt) as much as anything. Maybe try and source a used trapstock for the gun??? Or for sure, have the built up comb parallel to the bore axis and even better, sloping forwards slightly towards the receiver of the gun. I've been there and done that with a sporting clays gun that punched me big time in trap doubles. I was young and dumber then.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pat do you wnt him to fire it in the shop for the POI? I do mine outdoors on a pattern board.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.