1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some Perazzi help.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have a TMX and the foreend release button is very difficult to push in to release the forearm. Is there an easy fix for this? Bulge.

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

A: If depressing the button is difficult with the forearm removed from the gun, the locking screw could be loose or the long nut holding the forearm iron could be too tight.

B: If depressing the button is only difficult with the forearm assembled to the gun, the barrel lug to latch does not have sufficient clearance.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

What John said

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

It's B. Is there a remedy?? Thanks, Bulge.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mike. try a touch of hing pin grease alaround the lug. especilly the underside of the front catch part. I hav this issue too and mine is an ill-fitting forend tht presses gainst the bbl andthe latch isslightly askew or off center. I must fix that, but I shoot other guns.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Is this a new problem??? Is the barrel and or forend iron the original??? Is the wood original???

Yes.. I would try a little grease first... Sometimes.. new forend wood is to thick.. and it does not allow the sliding lock to easily engage.. The fix for that is to remove a tiny bit of wood.. (save this for last option)..

Are there any burrs on the forend lug?? A quick deburring can often solve this problem.. A fine stone is all you need for that.. NOT a file...

If that makes it better.. but not perfect..a little 600 grit lapping compound will seat it all in quickly...Be sure to remove all traces of it when you are finished..

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Mia, thanks the grease worked some.

PBB. No the problem is not new. I bought it at an estate auction. Had it rebuilt and the wood re-checkered and refinished. The problem as it is exactly. The button was very difficult to push down.(The grease made it easier to operate). Now the button needs some force but snaps down and works OK. Not real smooth. After the button goes down the wood does not want to pull off the gun. It really needs a good tug. The previous owner must have had the opposite problem because there is bedding material on the inside of the wood shaped to the contour of the forearm. He probably put it in to tighten it down but now it is a little too tight. I use it as a second gun so it does not get a lot of use. My thinking is if I used it more it eventually would loosen up. Does this sound reasonable. Thanks, Bulge.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would take the wood off the iron.. and check it for fit.. If it works correctly.. there is a little to much wood..causing the locking piece to bind... If it catches without the wood.. you'll need to stone down where its tight..Since it does lock.. the adjustments will be TINY..Do a very little bit at a time.. or bring it to the GRAND.. and we'll get it perfect for you.. All Good.. Mike

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Mike, between the wood and the barrel (forearm installed) there is a slight gap of around 3/32. On the bedding material there are some slight high spots. Do you think taking a very little off on the high spots this will help? Mike.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Try squeezing the center of the forend to the barrel a bit before pushing the latch button. If the button is much freer...good. This will ensure the forend wood remains tight to the bbl and doesn't wobble. If the squeeze needs to be excessive, a little bit of the bedding in the bbl channel will need to be scraped out.

As for the forend assy being difficult to pull off AFTER the button has been pushed, first try a dab of grease on the back of the forend lug. If it helps a little, then try polishing the back of the lug with very fine abrasive cloth to polish up the surface. You do want a small amount of resistance, this keeps the forend iron tight to the receiver. And, if this was a current rebuild, shooting 500-1000 rds will loosing it up some also....just like a new gun.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.