1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Opinions on Changing Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunpeople, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I wish I had the answer to your question.

A solid 95% average isn't anything to sneeze at after 2 years, and I wonder since you are doing that well if you should change at this time...Do you feel your misses are due to the gun ?

I personally would ask some of the club members if they would let you try what would be referred to a Real Trap Gun. You may have to adjust your shooting to float a target because of the elevated poiint of impact they will have, but this would give you some idea of what a Real Trap Gun would feel like to you.

I have seen some pretty darned good trap shooters with some old technology who have won many events...

You will never know until you try out some different guns if you will like the longer barrels, higher POI, etc...

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Take your time and shoot as many guns as you can. I have yet to meet a trap shooter who wouldn't let me shoot his/her gun, if I asked. I agree that you will have to get a Trap gun to shoot your best, but gun fit is critical. If you want an auto, IMHO you can't beat a 390...I have 32" barrel on mine. If you want a break open...the world is your oyster. I settled on a DT 10 and have not looked back. Adjustable comb, adjustable rib and adjustable lop if you can get it all. I shoot a PFS and can adj. any way needed. I jumped in too quick and went through many many guns till I finally got one I was mentally committed to. There is a Citori Plus combo on here that is really hard to beat...I had two of them. Perazzi is OK...I had two of them also. BT100 OK...I had three of them. BT 99 plus is a great little gun, I only had one of them. Shot both Kolar and Kreighoff (sp) and they both kicked too much. Like I say...take your time. Sounds like you have potential.

Good Luck,

JON

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Leave well enough alone. If anything buy another Valmet 412, so you will have a backup, in case something goes wrong with the original. HMB

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Shoot what ever gun you can break the most targets with.
    Steve Balistreri

5. RonC

RonC TS Member

I think you are better off with fixed chokes, wish I had them, F and IM. Phil Kiner says choke for smoke, and pick a choke for handicap (talking about removable chokes) and leave it there for singles, ie never change it. He is right. Might just as well be a fixed choke in my opinion. I destroyed a barrel because my choke came loose. Pressure must have got under the skirt or some shot because it riped a strip up the side of the choke and bulged the barrel. I now carry a choke wrench to the line with me. I have seen lots of guys shoot someone's gun well once, buy one and in a month they are not doing so well. Balance/swing lots of things change with a new gun or longer heavier barrels. Again I think in Trap and Field Phil wrote that it takes 5000 rounds to get fully used to a new gun. Having changed guns twice it took me about this number at any rate. If you have a gun that doesn't beat you up and one that does, check the pitch between the two and make sure they are the painless same and if you still get hurt there might be a lot of stock work to do. Ron

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have 7 trap guns---Mdl 12s through K-80s---I can take anyone out and break 20 to 25 ea time---makes no difference---Just like shooting them---Guess I should stick with one but which one?---User of most---Master of none---When you like shooting and collecting it's the fun of both---JMO---SJB---

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Are the "club pundits" carrying a 95% average or better?

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Cowboy---The ones that I know that carry a 95 avg do it like it's a job---If thats fun it's O.K. but I worked all my life---Wish I had a 95 avg but there's another life---I respect them though--I play alot of golf and I get a kick out of the ego players that think that because they carry a low handicap that their shixx don't stink---Get them off the golf course and many of them equal a 0 in life--So my point is,what kind of an average in your opinion do you have to carry to qualify as a poster on TSs?===s---JMO---George

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would stick with the Valmet unless and until:

You fire another gun at a trap target, and well, you will know...you will simply have to have that gun. Somehow. Someday.

I loved my Browning XT (as much as an inanimate object can be "loved"...ok, it's an expression) until the day I fired a Krieghoff K-80.

Then I knew.

bluedsteel

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Trade right away before you change your mind.

GB
    DLS

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

George, you're welcome to post here regardless of your average whatever that is altho' I'm a little confused as to WHAT your point is??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.