1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some load help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I've decided to try some 1oz number 8 shot loads for 16's and first shot of doubles. What I want is 1100 fps, I tried some of those Remington reduced recoil 1100 fps 1 oz and I either had a good day or those things really shoot and light recoil too.

Here's what I have in stock. I'd like some advice on which would make the best combo and closest to the factory load from the experienced shooters here on ts.com. I have reloading manuals and I have scales but I figure some of you guys have it figured out better than a book.

STS cases

STS primers

PB powder

PROMO powder

TGT12 WADS

12SO WADS

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    Dear Sliver

For such a light load, the faster powders will work better. Titegroup, Promo and Clays are pretty fast.

I believe around 17 gr of either powder behind your TGT wad will work for you.

The 12SO might be better suited for 16 or so gr Titegroup.
  3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    <blockquote><I>"I have reloading manuals and I have scales but I figure some of you guys have it figured out better than a book."</I></blockquote>

I'll go out on a limb and say that nobody has it figured out better than the books that are lists of component combinations that have been tested by powder and wad manufacturers and ballistics companies to verify the safety and performance that each combination is capable of.

Coach is correct that the fast powders work better for light shot loads but you're going to have to load and try a number of loads using published data to find the combination that meets your personal and specific requirements for performance and recoil.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I'd be looking at somewhere around 16.5 grains of Promo or Clays. Double check the data on the manufacturer's site. I'd use the TGT12. Another thing I would consider is using either the new Alliant Extra-Lite or the Winchester WAALite powders. They can attain the 1100 fps while keeping pressures in a range to allow for proper combustion.
  5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    SE PA
    I agree with Quack. I've been using Alliant Extra-Lite and find it to be superb for 7/8oz and medium speed 1oz loads.

Alliant's new data sheet and web site (please check for yourself) list STS hull, STS209 primer, 14.5gr Extra-Lite, TGT-12 wad and 1oz shot for 1100fps @8970psi. If you bump that to 15.5gr you get 1150fps @ 9600psi.

IMO Clays, Promo and Red Dot are too slow for that load, because pressure would be under 7000psi. I'm certain they would work, but will be dirty.
  6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Aug 27, 2007
    Terre Haute Indiana
    The Federal wads arn't called the "pushin cushion" for nothing. You need to load them in a straight walled hull however. Try a Federal Gold Medal hull with a Federal 12SO wad and 17+- grains of Clays with one ounce of shot. For even less felt recoil put the same load in a Federal Top Gun hull with a fiber base wad. The fiber base wad does help.

Jim Skeel
    Straight walled hulls have less felt recoil!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.