Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need some input for cold weather shooting

4K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Chugiakshooter 
#1 ·
How does the cold weather affect your shells, and I mean below freezing, and what do you do to fix it other than stay indoors or go south?
Best regards
Jim

#6 ·
I don't leave my shells outside. They are kept in the house (70deg) or the garage (55deg). I bring them into the clubhouse with me. Even in a winter ATA shoot, the fourth box is only exposed to freezing temps for 45 minutes. I haven't noticed any effects while shooting.

#12 ·
I always shot either red dot or the old (Scotland) solo 1000. I couldn't tell the difference in cold or hot weather and never gave it a single thought. Always seemed like the less I thought about the better I shot. We had a nice shelter with an open front behind the main trapline and it had a wood burning stove in the middle and it felt really good after shooting a round. Seems like the coldest shoots were some of the most memorable. There was always somebody sprinkling a little powder on top of it and waiting to see the individual grains flash. That was back in the Wallace Anderson days. Any other guys on here that used to shoot at Barren River Rod and Gun Club in Ky? They don't shoot there anymore, but I shot my first and last round there.

#15 ·
All powders burn slower when they are cold, but the rate of decrease is unique to each powder. Dropping temperature form 70 degrees to 32 degrees F, a 5-7% reduction in velocity is not unusual.

Barry- If your expert told you they decrease 50% or more, I would question his expertise.

Here are some actual test numbers for an imported discount shell labeled 1200 ft/sec on the box. At 70 degrees, mean velocity for 5 shells = 1156 ft/sec. at 70 degrees. At 120 degrees F, mean velocity was 1224 ft/sec. At -20 degrees F, mean velocity for five shells was 842 ft/sec. The factory that measured these for me told me that it was the worst powder they had ever tested for temperature variation.

Pat Ireland

#17 ·
that picture looks about like several places in Wisconsin on any given winter day.... there just isn't much aroud to do I guess.

I keep mine in out of the cold, either in the warm part of the vehicle on the way to the shoot, and then inside the club house, and only out when it's time to shoot. that way they don't get too cold before getting shot, so far it has worked nicely for me.

#19 ·
We have rules here in Arizona, we don't let it get that cold ... Last year I had to wear long pants for two week, I thought winter was never going to end ...
People always say they can tell if winter is here and thats when they see me in long pants ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#21 ·
That Fredman guy is is a CROOK! That is what we hardy guys endure at the Minneapolis Gun Club. On station 1 is Troy, Bob (his dad) along side and big Leo.

Case closed.

#22 ·
Jim,

My suggestion for cold weather shooting involves Makers Mark, cards, and a designated driver. It's a hell of a lot more fun playing poker and watching those guys freeze than it is to be out in it.

A couple of years ago one of our Alaska brethren posted a picture that showed the snow banks, along the shooters walkway, at shoulder level and they were still shooting. I wish I had kept that image because it was amazing.

ss

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.