1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some input for cold weather shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by instruction, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instruction

instruction TS Member

How does the cold weather affect your shells, and I mean below freezing, and what do you do to fix it other than stay indoors or go south?
    Best regards
    Jim

2. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Below freezing means stay inside, Hell with shooting.

Jack

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I don't change anything. I use Red Dot and Green Dot.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I put a hand warmer in my pocket with the shells, helps keep my trigger finger and the shells warm. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would worry much more about myself than my shells. If you must shoot, keep both yourself and your shells as warm as possible. If possible, try to have fun. One month from today I will be in Florida getting ready for the Dixie Grand.

Pat Ireland

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I don't leave my shells outside. They are kept in the house (70deg) or the garage (55deg). I bring them into the clubhouse with me. Even in a winter ATA shoot, the fourth box is only exposed to freezing temps for 45 minutes. I haven't noticed any effects while shooting.

7. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Cold weather affects the birds more than the ammmo-shoot a stout 1 1/8 load of 7s on cold days. You see alot off dusted birds on below freezing days.

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I take pictures!

FRedmon

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The colder the shells the more inefficient they become. I had an expert tell me that under freezing they lose over half of their punch. Warm'em up.

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I talked to an expert and he said they only loose about 1/8 of their punch.

tony

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Go ahead Pat, rub it in!

12. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I always shot either red dot or the old (Scotland) solo 1000. I couldn't tell the difference in cold or hot weather and never gave it a single thought. Always seemed like the less I thought about the better I shot. We had a nice shelter with an open front behind the main trapline and it had a wood burning stove in the middle and it felt really good after shooting a round. Seems like the coldest shoots were some of the most memorable. There was always somebody sprinkling a little powder on top of it and waiting to see the individual grains flash. That was back in the Wallace Anderson days. Any other guys on here that used to shoot at Barren River Rod and Gun Club in Ky? They don't shoot there anymore, but I shot my first and last round there.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I meant to type, "at freezing temperatures (32 degrees F.) " they lose about half their punch. Sorry.

14. copper

copper Member

The ducks would be pushed into open water large numbers breaking ice making a place to shoot and the back ground was so great air clear other than that cold sucks. Dave

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

All powders burn slower when they are cold, but the rate of decrease is unique to each powder. Dropping temperature form 70 degrees to 32 degrees F, a 5-7% reduction in velocity is not unusual.

Barry- If your expert told you they decrease 50% or more, I would question his expertise.

Here are some actual test numbers for an imported discount shell labeled 1200 ft/sec on the box. At 70 degrees, mean velocity for 5 shells = 1156 ft/sec. at 70 degrees. At 120 degrees F, mean velocity was 1224 ft/sec. At -20 degrees F, mean velocity for five shells was 842 ft/sec. The factory that measured these for me told me that it was the worst powder they had ever tested for temperature variation.

Pat Ireland

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's a picture of some hardcore trapshooters. Where was it taken?

17. shrek

shrek Active Member

that picture looks about like several places in Wisconsin on any given winter day.... there just isn't much aroud to do I guess.

I keep mine in out of the cold, either in the warm part of the vehicle on the way to the shoot, and then inside the club house, and only out when it's time to shoot. that way they don't get too cold before getting shot, so far it has worked nicely for me.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eddie- You are quite intuitive.

Pat Ireland

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We have rules here in Arizona, we don't let it get that cold ... Last year I had to wear long pants for two week, I thought winter was never going to end ...
    People always say they can tell if winter is here and thats when they see me in long pants ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

that pic. makes me homesick (northern Iowa & Illinois) some of my best memories are the meat shoots when we had to clear sidewalks & shooting walks so we could play. we still shot no matter what. (well maybe a few exceptions) Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.