1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some info on a bug problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I'm building a woodworking shop and I have a problem every time I go in. There are some bugs that I can not see but feel after I leave. I was told they are mitts of some kind. They act like chiggers. There aren't any birds or animals in the shop and the doors stay closed when I'm not in there. Yes while I'm building the shop and setting things up I have let the saw dust build up and so with the cuttings. I cleaned up some of the saw dust and most of the cuttings but they are still there. What can I do to get rid of them. Bug bomb, borax or what?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Go to a farm supply store and buy a sulphur candle, make sure no plants or animals are in there when you do it. I raised several hundred pheasants years ago and thats what I did.

3. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Bomb it!

4. Auctioneer

Don't mind bombing it just need to know what kind of bomb to use.

Sulphur candle will do it? I will keep that in mind Thanks

5. Auctioneer

Just checked on sulphur candles and I was told that they are no longer made in the USA. I did how ever found one seller on Ebay from the UK. Now getting it in the USA will be a problem. Any other ideas? Thanks

6. Auctioneer

Thanks I ill look them up now.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The active ingredient in those bombs for moles is sulphur. As soon as you smell one after lighting it you'll smell the sulphur.

I don't know if they will kill mites but the smoke should go everywhere. Bad stuff to breath and don't start a fire.

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You can also try putting moth balls everywhere.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

any powder sulphur like at drug store. it will burn and melt. It like the story . You know what burns my ass ---A little blue flame. thats what you will have. dont get it near your saw dust or you wont have to worry about a building

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"There are some bugs that I can not see but feel after I leave. I was told they are mitts of some kind. They act like chiggers.</blockquote>

Who told you they were mites of some kind? Someone who is expert at this sort of identification or someone who simply wants to appear to be?

If they bother you as much as they sound like they do, it would make sense to me to have them positively identified by a professional before you try to annihilate them.

Lister

11. Auctioneer

I called Orken(sp) and that is what they said. It is also called MONEY at this time. They or any other service are not cheap. I will try doing it myself first and if the sulphur bombs don't work then I will call them. Just trying to save money like everyone else.

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

If you don't mind a little dust, go to a garden store, get yourself a bag of Sevin dust (10%), buy a duster that looks kind of like an old insecticide sprayer and blast away. I used the stuff for years when I bred Macaws & Cockatoos.

Andy.

13. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Pesticide applications made without first identifying a specific pest problem (and target application site) are usually ineffective and should not be used. More importantly, repeated and widespread pesticide applications are potentially hazardous to you and others around you.

You need to identify the cause of a problem before you resort to spraying any pesticides in your home or shop.

Some tips for collecting specimens for identification. Use mouse glueboards, or cockroach sticky traps as monitors. Keep track of where and when you place each one. Such information may be critical if mites or insects are found.
    Brush/knock suspected specimens from your clothing or skin onto a light-colored piece of paper or cardboard. Take the specimen to your county Cooperative Extension Center if you need help with identification.

Bites are often hard to diagnose without an examination, good description of the bite(s), information about how and when the bites occurred, and (ideally) a specimen of the suspected pest. Although many biting arthropods leave clues that help with diagnosis (such as the pattern and types of lesions), it is often very difficult to determine the cause of a bite with certainty without a specimen.

Hope this helps. (former Orkin employee)

14. bill2

bill2 Member

Just a thought, Try cutting up some ceder in your shop. It keeps bugs out of Ceder Chests. Bill2

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have owned a professional pest control company for the past 26 years.I have seen EVERYTHING---Call me and I will put you on the right track--I sent you an e-mail.

16. Auctioneer

DENNISMASTROLIA1, you have PM.

17. Auctioneer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.