1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some ideas...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

We're a VERY small club in Central Vermont. I'm trying to come up with something that will keep people coming back, other than my charm and rugged good looks.

We only have one field, pat-trap and voice calls. Any ideas of some sort of league-style play, averaging, whatever, that will keep people coming back every week? Dinner, picnic or some sort of award at the end? Some way to level the playing field so that only the hot-shots will win all the time? We only have 16 yd., no room for caps.

We had food two years ago, but that person burned out on that, so no one else was willing to pick it up. Like I said, small dedicated group.

We DO have fun however.

Any help, ideas, comments sincerely appreciated.

cap

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

with only one trap and limited to 16 yds you are facing an uphill battle - Try setting it on wobble, crank the speed up and hold some games. Buddies, Custers etc. Have a cash prize payout

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

No room at all to back-up??? How about games as mentioned above, most of these can be played as 10 shot games-- a small boat perched on top of an old tractor innertube--2 target boxes (staked down) about 3 ft. apart, must stand with 1 foot in each box--3 shots for $1.00 from the parking lot "if safe"--random time release after call with pull cord-pullers discretion--I call you shoot--report doubles with pull cord--follow the leader "if enough room to do it safely" plus anything else the shooters want or can dream up. You may have to charge a little extra or same as a 25 bird practice but give decent prizes ie. shells--money--components gift certificates from Wally World--Publix--etc.--if big enough practice crowds throw all 25 straights in a hat draw 1 name for 2 boxes of new shells & all 24s in another drawing for 1 box of new shells at the end of the night-afternoon-, you can have your name in both drawings as often as you qualify, you will be surprised at how many extra rounds people will shoot to get their names in one or both hats. A pot luck one day-night- a month. These types of shoots are limited only to safety concerns & your imagination, and are more fun than the proverbial barrel of monkeys. Have FUN! Ross Puls

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

At our club we have a spring and fall league shoot. A, B, C and D class. Each have 1, 2, and 3 places. so you have 12 places for people. We shoot say for 5 week or what you want to do and then the last night once you have been placed by your score in a class you shoot for 1, 2 or 3 place in that class. At the award night we have steaks and the winners in each class is known. We then go out and shoot 3 4 or 5 rounds of Annie Okly. We all have fun. We all with the shooting game pay $1 to shoot per round or game. Even the good shooters sometimes get only 1 shot for their $1.00. LOL Also we pay $XX.XX to get into the league.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

At our club I try to always have free food of some kind. Chili goes big time and it is cheap

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

All great ideas. Maybe also some sub gauge events. And/or a league that requires pump guns only...this would bring out some long forgotton 870's, M-31's and the like, and who knows what else and maybe get some with modern Benelli defensive/pump guns interested in breaking some clay.

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Host an 8 - 10 week league. Draw for teams w/ the A shooters as captains and place everyone else in equal piles by ability (we know what you can do) and make your teams.

Run it like a bowling league and use a 90% handicap based on a score of 24 per round. The only way you can get a 25 is to shoot a 25.

A 90% league will tighten the teams up close and make it competitive for all.

Collect a prize fund at the start and just pay for targets after that or collect for targets and prizes up front (better).

Pay back high team, high average, high shooter, most improved, etc. Make it fun and everyone stands a chance.

The local club will be starting their spring league in about 2 weeks and we will have 9 +/- teams. Last year we had 7 teams. It will grow.

IMHO

OB

8. maka

maka Member

Buy 5 plastic lawn chairs with arms. Attatch them securly to pieces of 4x4 plywood. Then move them back as far as everyone lies. Shooting from chairs at the back fence is a hoot. Good Luck.

9. maka

maka Member

Buy 5 plastic lawn chairs with arms. Attatch them securly to pieces of 4x4 plywood. Then move them back as far as everyone lies. Shooting from chairs at the back fence is a hoot. Good Luck.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A six week league with a nice BBQ at the conclusion is probably your best bet. Make sure to get the standings posted promtly after each week.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All shooters put $2.00 into a hat. Top gun gets 50%, Everyone else writes their scores on a piece of paper, pick the numbers next 2 get 25 % each.

Phil Berkowitz

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

Try going the other way, go out in front of the trap house and let the targets pass over your head, we call it a 'quail walk'. The farther out you walk, the less reaction time you have.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Charm and good looks can only take you so far... We're a small group!

I have found that laying out a calendar year and try to structure some hypothetical programming... singles league (using a Lewis format), doubles (same) (wobble if your machine is capable, same), meat shoots, fun shoots with food... innovative monthly game shooting... around the regular practice (why not a one-trap registered targets-only singles/doubles program a couple times a year)

Laying out structure is what give folks something to rely upon... which keeps them coming back...

Have the grill available for BYOF grill days... the Club doesn't always have to buy the food... keep some plates, cups, napkins and plasticware on hand for those who do...

Just my $0.02,

Jay

14. butcher

butcher Member

Phil you said the top shooter gets 50% but I don't understand how the other two are chosen for 25% each>

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Charger what is 50% +25% +25%? = 100%

GB
    DLS

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

When I ran my little club I supplied the local newspapers (within a 50 mile radius) with results and photos of the winners. Great for hooking repeat business and free advertisements for new business.

At first I didn't think it would be a big deal but after a couple of months we started getting new shooters from all those surrounding towns. Eventually, it increased the number of shooters for all the local gun clubs in that 50 mile radius. Everybody benefitted. The local gun stores started to post the articles and they commented that business was up for target shooting merchandise.

Later the gun stores started to buy ads to be placed near the club reports and the newspapers got happier too.

17. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks to everyone for a lot of great ideas. Our club frowns on any "money" shoots, so we'll have to figure that part out.

Great stuff! Thanks again...

cap

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

Green bird shoot. Add a green bird to trap.High score gets a prize,and who ever hits green bird gets a prize.If High score hits green bird,then the next high score gets prize.Green bird must be put in for each squad.Depends on how many prizes you want to give out.Our club holds meat shoots every thursday with this format.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.