1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some ideas for fast good meals after school

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    With me going back to college this past year things can get hectic at times. With me also taking care of my elderly mother, and my wife's illness, I have also assumed the cooking of everyones dinner after school lets out.

Do any of you have any dinners that take under 10 minutes that are good to eat? I have been making the usual, hamburgers, franks and beans. Anything you prepare when time is not on your side that is tasty?

Steve Balistreri

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Steve, do a search on crock pot recipes. Throw everything in before school, presto...Done when you get home.

Wayne

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Once every couple of weeks PBJ are not too bad.

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Breakfast!!!! Eggs Bacon toast never made a bad dinner!!!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Takes a little longer then 10 minutes because you have to brown the hamburger but i like Hamburger Helper every now and then when i need something fast and different.

Since you have the internet, "Google" 10 minute meals. I'm sure you will get plenty of recipes that way.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Make dinners on the weekends when you have some extra time. Increase the portions to allow for left overs to be frozen for dinners during the week. Heat and serve, include a salad and frozen veggies.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

grntitan:
    Great idea, as I completely forgot about hamburger helper.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Bruce:
    That is also a good idea.
    Steve

8. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

The crock pot is man's best friend.

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

BUY YOURSELF A PAN WITH THE RAISED GRILL RIBS AT WALLMART ($19) YOU CAN GRILL MOST MEATS IN 10 MINUTES. BRATWURST, LAMBCHOPS, BURGERS, SALMON, VEALCHOPS, STEAKS, TUBESTEAK, CRAB CAKES, SHRIMP, ETC ETC. ROOM LEFT ON THE PAN FOR FRYING ASPARAGUS, YELLOW SQUASH, MUSHROOMS ETC, A LITTLE OLIVE OIL SALT AND PEPPER ON THE GRILLED VEGGIES. FOR THE STARCH MINUTE RICE, FROZEN STEAMED POUCH VEGGIES, BAKED POTATOES IN MICROWAVE ALL TAKE ONLY 4 TO 5 MINUTES. FROZEN POTATO CAKES, PIEROGIES SAUTEE UP REAL QUICK IN ANOTHER PAN

THIN SPAGHETTI BOILS UP IN ABOUT 15 MINUTES, JAR OF PREGO, MAKE A SALAD AND SOME GARLIC BREAD IN THE MEANTIME.

HAVE FUN AND MIX IT UP!

JOE

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

whether i cook it in 10 minutes or an hour: clean up always takes 30 minutes! good luck with it

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

A box of mac & cheese..........Cook it up ,and add 1 can of tuna fish(drained),1 an of chopped mushrooms(drained).Salt,and pepper to taste.It sticks to your ribs,and can be a darn good meal thats quick to fix...Saved my skinny ass a many cold night in the hills.
    Cheap too

D.P.Reynolds

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

When ever cooking any meat make at least twice as much as you need. Turkey on sunday can be sandwitches on tuesday and hash on thursday. Buy Frozen pizzas when their on sale you can use leftovers or lunchmeat and make your own special pizza. Grill chicken or porkchops and buy the 90second microwave rice bags for a complete meal. Don't over look some of the frozen dinners; some really affordable sale prices.( this week at the Acme they have Healthy choice for $1.50 each if you buy 10 of them. the turkey and some of the pastas are quite good)

I have become a fan of the microwavable pastas. Ravioli with any jared sauce takes about 10 minutes.
    Joe

13. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

You might like to try this English dish - it's called 'Corney Mash'. You need to boil and mash some potato's (do it ahead of time maybe day before) mash into it a can of Corned Beef, place it in a dish (oven type dish) and sprinkle grated cheese on top. when you warm it up!! Some frozen veg. with it - superbe!!!!!

Ron in Canada
    Ex. Brit.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Stouffer's Chicken Rigatoni

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

if you eat like a trap shooter, will you look like a trap shooter? you might want to post your question on that bicycle road racing forum to see what young, fit people eat

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Back when I was in college I would buy a big turkey ever week and cook it and make sandwiches for the next week from it

I know they can get old, there was a time when I swore I would never eat turkey again, as when I was a kid we raised 250,000 poults to range size sell all but 80,000 and finish them got tired of eating the ones that had heart attacks when we were loading them

One day my brother came to help me get a washer and dryer in my house, then he asked if I had anything to eat, I told him I just cooked a turkey yesterday, it's in the fridge.

He ate the whole damn thing

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Acme frozen dinners? Do you use them to catch Road Runners?

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A 'real' college student eats only the finest junk food. Mac&Cheeze, hot dogs, Ramen noodles,PBJs....

For you, how about a frozen lasagna (microwave in 6 minutes) and a bag of premix salad greens one night.

The croc pot can turn a sorry cut of beef into a decent roast in a day - but this isn't really a 10 minute meal as you gotta do the prep in the morning.

Stir fry some shrimp and toss in some frozen winter veggies then serve this over cripy chinese noodles with soy. (all under 10 minutes)

Avocado & cream cheese omlette - no meat to cook so prep time is less than ten minutes.

Shrimp scampi - sautee shrimp in butter/EVO 2 minutes toss in a couple cloves minced garlic, sautee 2 more minutes, hit it with a squirt of lemon juice and 1/2 cup Chardonay bring to bubble, serve over spagetti cooked al-dente'- around 10 minutes.

Simple is the key to fast.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

a big bag of frozen string beans(or canned)...or big bag of frozen brussel sprouts and a big ring or two of Echrich smoked sausage (or a nice ham slice or two) enough water to cover the meat on the bottom by 1/2" and salt and pepper to taste...dump it all in a pot and steam on med high about 10-15 minutes...you can add a can of those small potatoes too.....I like to make mine with fresh cabbage but that takes a bit longer...some malt vinegar sprinkled on the steaming cabbage n taters and I'm set and got my daily fiber too!

20. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Make a big omlette with broc, mushrooms, left over meat, etc... You can actually make it up the night before and micro it the next day. I used to do that for lunch at work. Great way to use up leftovers. I also would 1" dice sweet potatoes, with the skins, toss with olive oil and season them and roast them for 1/2 hour at 400 degrees. You can micro them also for a side dish all week. Make a big pan of them! Great way to lose weight ~ What you see is what you get ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.