1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help with glue.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I chipped a piece of wood off my K-80 stock just behind the top latch. What is the best glue that you have used for wood. Thanks, Bulge.

2. shaggist

shaggist Member

I have had excellent success with Gorilla glue. It is moisture activated, and foams to get into each nock and cranny. You MUST hold the piece being reattached in place with a clamp or a piece of tape, as the foaming action will lift it out of its seat. It cures to a light brown color and can be sanded off to match your repair. Curing time is about a hour, but I always leave it overnight just to make sure.

3. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I like Brownell's Acraglass. It comes with stain to add (it is easy to get
    too dark). It makes for a very strong repair.
    Gary

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Clear epoxy, or Acraglass. If you are not planning on refinishing, just a very small amount is needed, as to not squeeze out onto the finish. Put a good clamp on it to seat it into original position.

5. warren

warren Member

Titebond is very good for wood as long as you don't immurse it. Clamp the joint good and let it set for 24 hrs in this weather and it will be stronger than the wood itself.

warren

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Hot Stuff from Brownell's Joe joe90t

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

What Joe90t said. "Hot Stuff" is a brand name (basically known to guys who built model airplanes.) but there are many brands of cyanoacrylate. If the pieces are separated, use the "thick" CA. Be very,very careful not to get any on the finish. If it's a crack in the wood, you can sometime use the "thin" CA and let it bleed down into the crack. It works by capillary action, the same way a tree gets nourishment when it's growing. Though it works best with very porous wood like balsa, it will also work with walnut and other hardwood.

8. drgondog

drgondog Member

I use Hot Stuff (CA) for small repairs like chips. I have used Gorilla glue and yes you have to tape/clamp because the glue expands - I have always had to scrape/sand after drying because I always want the bond to be dry.

I like most epoxy solutions EXCEPT for very small jobs as it is difficult to get equal amounts of resin and hardener unless you mix way too much.

If you repair cracks around inletting, it 'depends'....

Bill

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

I vasilate between Accraglas and Titebond, but if you don't want to get into issues of cleaning epoxy off the finish, or the potential damage to the finish from cyanoacrylate, use the Titebond. Very user friendly.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM. Also get at a med store drug store these rubber hoses, rubber strips. The reason is if you still decide to do it yourself you will need those to hold the crack shut. They will do a good job without damaging the wood. use tape to hold the raping together over night.

The key to it is to fill ALL the crack with the glue. Leave no bubbles or you will be sorry.

Post pic's if you can of the stock.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gary, it was my carelessness. That is the root cause. Trying to hurry. Bulge.

12. schwabby

schwabby Member

Stay away from the gorilla glue or be really careful to keep cleaning up the squeeze out which will continue for some time, maybe 2 hours.

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I believe that I will try the tightbond. Thanks everyone, Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.