1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help on older K-gun barrels.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wasn't sure where to put this so it went into shooting related. I bought a San Remo very early # 369. The barrel doesn't match # 425 with some type of makers mark or smiths mark that looks like antlers or a 4LLL so close it looks like antlers then the number 559. Seller said barrels were reworked by "Simmons". The are 30" f top and IM bottom. Krieghoff model 32. with BOHLER-LAUFSTAHL below, trap 12ga. 12/70. Narrow rib not ramped. The barrel divider is not removable and of course no number. Above the ejectors on the flat part of the barrel is the name "Cy Rapp" possibly a smiths name although the seller said he was the engraver. That doesn't make sense to me that the engraver would engrave his name on the barrels instead of the receiver. Here are a few pics. Any info you can enlighten me with would be appreciated. Thanks, Bulge.
    barrelbulge_2008_210824.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210825.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210826.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210828.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210831.jpg

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

If more pictures would help let me know. Value would certainly be appreciated. Bulge.

3. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Earlest style of Barrel..Often refered to as Diamond post Rib..Correct for such an Early Serial Number Gun. Have found that Serial numbered barrels under 3xxx do Not Interchange Well with Other Guns..Not to Say it can't be made to Fit..Just not as Easy as the Later Dated barrels and Actions. Shoot well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends, Bart

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Bart, you are probably right as to fit. They were tight on my K-80. Mike.

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The early low serial number Krieghoff guns were an exact copy of the Remington 32 guns. There were no changes to the Krieghoff gun until around serial number 600 then they made changes to the triggers and ribs over the years. I am pretty sure what you have is a Krieghoff that is an exact copy of the original Remington 32 design. That is why interchangeably is poor the trigger should be different than the later Krieghoffs that was one of the first things they changed. With that said a early Krieghoff like yours is most likely rare and could be worth more down the line. I do know they were cheaper to buy with the low serial numbers but there are still plenty of Remington 32 being shot to this day. Enjoy the gun it is a classic in my eyes. Buddy

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Buddy, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I really bought it for the receiver and front iron. I have a set of K-80 internals that I will send to Krieghoff with the receiver to have them install. The other parts I will sell off. Thanks, Mike.
    barrelbulge_2008_210833.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210836.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210837.jpg

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Price, I will send K-80 barrels, wood, triggerguard and a new top latch for them to install. Mike.

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I have a set of San Remos just like these and shoot them every year for doubles. Some (Ray Stafford for example) used to say some years ago that the K-32 barrels shot better for doubles. I changed mine and have left it that way.

I do find that I like to raise my comb some with this barrel on, but it works great.

I am sure your configuration will work well.

Shoot well and have fun.

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

425 is s/n, 559 is proof date, may, 1959

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It probably wont be that easy- there will be a bunch of labor involved

Gene

11. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

I've got an old M-32, serial #299, with matching serial 30" fixed F over IM barrel. Proof date on mine is 359, or March 1959, so that makes sense. My bbl has all of the markings you mention, except the Cy Rapp wording. My receiver is unfortunately not the engraved model you have. It's just the basic blued receiver with simple scroll design on the sides. So maybe Cy Rapp was actually the engraver. Call the Krieghoff office in Ott, PA, and ask. In my experience they've been quite helpful. As far as the bbl having been reworked by "Simmons", this is what Earnest Marlette told me about my barrel. May or may not be relevant for yours. Earnest is an authorized Krieghoff gunsmith here in North Carolina. He said someone had opened up both barrels on my set sometime along the way to bring them up to current standards. The chokes are still fixed, but the bore and cones had been opened and lengthened to modern standards. So maybe that was done to yours. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can comment in detail on this point. Very pretty gun, by the way. If you ever need a part and have trouble finding it, be sure and check with Earnest. He's got bins of parts for M-32's.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

APrice,

I was under the impression the Top Lock was softer than the barrel shoulders causing the top lock to wear.

Is that incorrect?

Guy Babin

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Those top latches are damn hard ask any engraver. Jeff

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Ottsville gunsmiths refit barrel shoulders every day. It is not a problem.

15. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

The antlers are the sign for the Proof House Ulm. 559 is the proof date (not date of manufacture). Translates to May 1959. There should be similar markings and numbers on the receiver to date the proofing.

Each European Proof House has a special sign.

Proofing and manufacture are usually close on the recievers.

Barrels can vary. I have seen barrels with screw in extractors dated long after the new style were being made.

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

additional markings appear to be two crowns 1 over the other. If anyone is interested in the barrel let me know through PM. Thanks, Mike.

barrelbulge_2008_210838.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210839.jpg

The wood is for sale if anyone needs a set.

17. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

Are they crowns or eagles? Eagle with N means standard proofing pressure for nitro powder. The pictures are blurry. Eagle with a V means high pressure for magnum whick is no the case here because...

12/70 is the European designation of 12 gauge 2 3/4" (70mm)

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Upon closer inspection (I used a magnifying glass) it does look like a bird with feathers spead and an N above its head. You know your marks. Thanks, Mike.

19. 1oz

1oz Member

Interesting i owned a early Monte Carlo grade 831 just sold about a 1 and a half ago and I remember seeing the bird symbol and always wondered what it was

Thanks,
    Jim

20. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Bulge I think the conversion might be difficult with that old a gun please let me know what Ottsville replies, I would like to know if it can be done and the cost in event I come across a low serial number gun in the future. Buddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.