1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Need some AK-47 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Just saw a ad at one of the local gun stores offering a discount on a WASR-10 AK 7.62 X 39 mm semi-auto rifle. It has a l6.25 barel with a l:l0 twist, Laminated wood stock and includes a compensator, bayonet lug and side scope rail. Also comes with 2 30 round mags. for $499.99. This is $100 off normal prices. Is this a good deal, Ok deal, or Poor deal. The Laminated wood is very light in color and looks very odd on this rifle. Whats your thoughts on gun and price. Just looking for something fun to shoot not a match grade barrel gun. Break-em all. Jeff
  2. FIB

FIB Member

Our Gander Mountain has the same deal going on right now. I think these are Romanian made AK's but could be wrong. I've never encountered a bad AK. I have heard that the Bulgarian made AK's and the Chinese Polytec AK's were the best made.
  3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't think there's such a thing call bad AK. There're better AK than good AK. :)

They were designed to be cheaply made but super reliable. No matter who's the ideot holding it.

This is a fair deal, doubt you can save more than $50 elsewhere.
  4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They are the one of the cheaper made models and quality varies.
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If a guy wants a really good AK 47, what ones do you look for? I always liked the looks of the older ones with wood stock and handquards but never owned one. Its on my list of guns to aquire soon.
  6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

WASRs are junk, plain and simple. Look for Bulgarian or Russian if you want the best. Also check out Arsenal AKs, they are very good.
  7. grntitan

Thanks Rich. You get that Spolar yet?
  8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If anyone is remotely interested in an AK or similar rifles, I suggest you buy one while the prices are as low as it gets. You never know what the CEO on Pennsylvania Ave. or who will be in the future decide to change the availability of them.

AK has never been so available to us at this historically low prices, don't miss the boat. :)
  9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Not yet, I'm still waiting on my refund from Dillon which according to them was issued Monday but I'm still waiting for it to show in my bank.
  10. stokinpls

stokinpls Active Member

You'll have to finish the wood yourself (if you're lazy, get a can of Minwax polyurethane), but there's really not that much wrong with the WASRs. They were selling for $380 here last winter, then crept up to $400. They are Romanian and the receiver is stamped, but really, who target shoots with an AK anyway? Once in a while Aimsurplus will have a deal on them. My nephew got his for $399. They will have the reliability of any AK and parts are cheap. The WASRs started to be real attractive when they decided to hike the prices of the SKSs into the $400 range. About the only knock I've heard about them is a few were turned out with the front sight mounted cocked to the right. If you can inspect it before purchase you can catch this. I would try to find a better price on one, and if the front sight is straight, buy it. Good luck.
  11. grntitan

Thanks guys. I agree on the get one soon statement. I've made that mistake before on certain guns.
  12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

The stock is raw!!! That explains why its so light in color and odd looking at this stage!!! So how accurate are these barrels??? Do you think this price is abit high??? Good info lets keep it coming. Break-em all Jeff
  13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

<i>"You never know what the CEO on Pennsylvania Ave. or who will be in the future decide to change the availability of them."</i>

Latest word is that Gunrunner/Fast & Furious was a set up to justify getting congress to go along with a UN Arms Treaty, making it more palpable than an outright gun ban to politicians, and leaving the dirty work to the UN.

This is why investigations must be pushed until someone goes to prison.
  14. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I had a MAK 90 Norinco stamped chinese AK and it never had a hiccup.$300 back in 1994 right after the assualt weapons ban went into effect. Great plinker. Are SKS's really bringing $400? I could have bought a dozen in the crate for $500. They were selling for $69 at the local shops in early 90's. wow.
  15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

They've all gone up as supply dwindles, especially those that are in pre-922r configuration.

I had a couple of AKs, both Norinco. Got rid of the 7.62x39. Had no real use for it, because if I need a .30 cal my FN FAL fills that bill. Kept the .223 AK though. It was just too accurate to get rid of.
  16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The barrels are better on the cheap 47s than they are on the cheap 74s. Word was going around that Century AK74s were using 5.56 barrels vs. using 5.45 in their AK74s.

If you can, stay away from anything from Century. The biggest problems with the WASRs is crooked FSBs and other stuff on the barrel. If you do get one with a crooked FSB it's not too hard of a fix though.

I would not pay $500 for a WASR, $400 would be my limit. Then again I would never buy a WASR because I build all of my AKs myself and I prefer to keep them as original as possible.

If you are set on a cheap AK look around for a used WASR which you should be able to find for around $400-425ish. Most people buy them and shoot them once and then they set in their gun safe.
  17. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Here's a WASR for $450, Cope's is good to deal with.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=3685&osCsid=589075adbf547e05d87e40625bccd8ba
  18. bluedevil

bluedevil Member

I have the Saiga and it is accurate plus have never had a ftf of any kind.7.62 x 39 is fun and fairly cheap.I would rather pay $600 for a top notch AK than $400 for junk anytime.
  19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Milled Arsenal`s Las Vegas are the most accurate,heavy,and pricey,but best imho.
    best stamped gun is the Vepr which uses the thickest sheetmetal reciever.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.