1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice regarding old china tableware

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My mother was a collector of fine china of the Wedgewood variety as well as other brands. My wife didn't share her interest but we had room for it after she passed away 16 years ago, so we kept it. However, we have recently moved to a much smaller condominium and want to dispose of it. We also have the large breakfront, credenza or whatever those things are called in which it and some silver serving items were kept.

Any suggestions? If any of you are interested and live near south-central Pennsylvania, we would be glad to have you come to our old house to look at it. We aren't looking to get rich, so don't be afraid to make an offer. You can reach me via P.M., email or (717) 512-0250.

Ed

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wedgewood is at or near the top of the heap for collectors. I had a friend whose mother bought one piece at a time ofver the years till she had a fine collection.

Don't be too hasty in divesting yourself of a significant asset.

HM

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I don't want it to look like I am "hijacking" Ed's thread. We were just talking about this stuff yesterday at work. Here is my question.....With today's silver prices...how does that affect old silverware, or is it so far from pure silver that is does not matter?

What about old coins too and the amount of silver in them. Is it to the point that just average "old coins" are worth more in silver than their age and type?

Thanks for any info

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Wedgewood has put out some great books on their china. I would also check the internet for updated values. A knowledgable dealer would be must for me.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ed, Dave Shaeffer's grandfather, Bill, is one of the leading experts in the U.S. for antique china. I wouldn't do a thing until you talk with him...he's in your back yard (Baltimore County, MD), and he's very shooter-friendly. I'll send you Bill's phone number via a PM.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the advice. A shooter from northern Pennsylvania called to tell me that his wife is an avid collector and will look at the items next week.

We just returned from the house, where we found some pieces of Spode china as well as 18 or 19 Wedgwood Christmas plates, which were limited edition items, along with cups and other pieces. We also unearthed some old pocket watches and Kennedy half-dollars.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.