1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on the IRS, Ouch!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by showdawg, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I'll make this as short as possible, I had a business in mid 90's, I failed to pay some withholding taxes to federal government, couple quarters in 97, couple in 98, couple in 99. Totaled about $6400.00 . Years 1999-2001 the IRS kept Me & My wife's joint tax returns. I have since recieved my tax returns 2002- 2005 honestly I felt that the returns that they kept surpassed what I owed them, & I felt as if the debt was satisfied simply because they started sending my returns each year without a hitch, but this year they sent me a letter stating that I wouldnt be recieving my returns. I called the IRS & They told me that I owed them $11,915.00 & is due immediately or they will levy. The lady told me that the returns that they kept, were simply just covering penalty & intrest. She said the account had accrued 90+ dollars a month since 2001. I have not recieved a single bill, or notice from IRS since they kept my 2000 tax returns. I feel as if I am having to pay for the IRS's Shitty Book-Keeping tactics, or this may have been the plan all along. Does anyone have any advice before I hand over 12 grand????

Thanks!!

Showdawg

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Get a tax attorney!!

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

show,

beleive me bud, i'm on your side. between state and federal i have to hand over 10,000.00 this year. no past penalties or anything.

my new acct. put it to me like this: "you should have come to me first. you still would have paid, but not as much. now you're getting a history lesson."

the irs is going to tell you that you should have kept track of what you owed. they're not your personal acct. i liken them to tony saprano. you either pay now, or you WILL pay in the end. there's no way out.

sorry.

brett d.

4. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I am humbly coming to the conclusion that there is no-one above these people, whom I can seek for help. All Tax attorneys do is charge you to fill out tax forms, that you can do yourself. By the way, I got a letter from a tax attorney "Roni Lynn Deutch" wanting to represent me with my tax problem. I got this letter one week before I even got the IRS letter. The tax attorneys know your getting the letter before you do!! I think the tax attorney thing is a joke.

Showdawg

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Looks like showdog asked to get a screwing and the IRS obliged him. Bend over.

6. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Anomymous, I didnt ask for this one. I have had my share of "screwings" & some of them deserved, but not this one.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Showdawg, Sometimes you can negotiate a lower setlement amount, especially since it's mostly interest and penalties. Also you can make a deal with them to make installment payments instead of paying them off in one lump sum. I would advise you to get a lawyers help, also your Congressman may also be able to pull some strings. Larry Evans

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just had my taxes done today....not as bad of a turnout as your situation ,..but maybe we can get a group discount from a proctologist

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First, DO NOT LET THEM LEVY. Ask for a payment plan, NOW. If they levy, you are really screwed.

Second, for this relatively small amount, compared to hourly rates for competent tax advice, you may spend more than you can save, if you can save anything. The rules have recently changed concerning offers in compromise and basically, if you have ready assets,(bank accounts, securities, home equity, wages, etc) in excess of the debt, they won't accept an offer. However, for a couple of hundred bucks a CPA can listen to your story and advise you accordingly.

Third, OK, you withheld your employees' taxes and didn't send them in. You got a $6400 loan for the last 8+ years, though at very high interest and penalty. Your fault, not the IRS. They aren't there to keep your books for you. You are paying for YOUR bookkeeping tactics. Time to cowboy up and pay what you owe.

PS for brett d. Ask your guy about filing amended returns. History can be rewritten.

10. AAfan

AAfan TS Member

Well...

First of all, when a Notice of Federal Tax lien is filed, it is a matter of public record and every national attorney for hire has a service that picks it up and mails you a solicitation letter. For amounts over $5000 this is normal procedure to file a tax lien and IS a negative credit item. Check to see if filed. I guarentee that is how you got the letters from various vultures/attorneys. Most charge a VERY high retainer for questionable results...After all once they have your money...

There is nothing wrong with tax representation but use someone local, someone who is either an Enrolled agent or CPA. Use references from friends...There is no Better Business bureau nor is the IRS allowed to refer you. So be careful who you retain cause' you will pay in the end!

Next. Did you move? The IRS is required to send a annual notice of taxes due required since 1999. Refund offsets are systemic and automatic normally. Did you file bankruptcy or something to put a hold on the notices?

When push comes to shove, no lawyer, CPA, etc can do anything you can't do yourself. It's just a matter or how comfortable you are dealing with it. You will pay all of it in the end, just a matter of how you do it...

I suspect JBrooks and I have a somewhat similiar professions and speak from experience...

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

jbrooks,

amendment won't help in my situation. it was my fault. never made this much in one year. didn't pay quarterly, deductions set up poorly, etc., etc.

as far as paying in installments, i was told by my guy that if you have good credit, but don't have the cash, your better off going to the bank for a loan, because the interest rate will be better than the i.r.s.

i'm just going to pay the bastards and chalk it up to a lesson learned. oh well. living in ny sure didn't help!!

brett d.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

showdawg, you asked for it when, by your own admission, you didn't pay your pay your payroll taxes in parts of 3 years.

Gotta wonder why not? if you paid some quarters but not others, you surely knew about them and that they were due, didn't you??

You asked for it again when you didn't solve your problem, but instead let the IRS keep your "returns" (I'm assuming you mean "refund")for a period of years. You "honestly feel" they kept more than you owed? But you never bothered to really figure it out, did you? I "honestly feel" I deserve to win powerball, but that ain't making it so, is it?

And you not having to pay for the IRS Shitty bookkeeping tactics. You're having to pay for YOUR SHITTY BOOKKEEPING.

Now you're in a hole...you can't claim ignorance (and that's no excuse anyway) and you owe penalty and fees on top of the original problem. I did taxes for several years in public practice. We always felt it was better for the client to pay what they legitimately owed than to get caught.

Bend over, lube up (for comfort), and qwit your bitchin. You got yourself here, you get yourself out. And get your checkbook out.

jeff

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

Now jeff, poor showdawg is a victim. It's not his fault he didn't pay his taxes given his victim status. Beam me up Scotty.

14. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

if your wife works you should think about filing married but seperately. I have a business and end up owing money. My wife works all year and then they just take her return. Started filing seperately and my business still has to pay, but at least she gets some money back. Makes living at home easier in the spring.

15. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I have said this before on previous threads about IRS. DO NOT SIGN YOUR NAME TO ANYTHING EXCEPT YOUR RETURN. This advice came from a former IRS Auditor.

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/index.html

Showdawg: Check this out if you think you got the short end of the stick.

16. dward

dward Member

My experience was that there was no way around the taxes and the interest, if the taxes were legitimately owed. But the penalties can be negotiated and potentially eliminated if the reason for not paying is good enough. -- Dan

17. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Thanks for your advice Jeff P, I will certainly keep your dialouge in mind.

Showdawg

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jeff P if all you can come up with is insensitive babble please keep it to yourself..we have enough trolls around here, we don't need another one.

19. smartass

smartass TS Member

Calvine, Jeff P is one of the few who made sense. Dawg can cry all he wants but he's the one who intentionally didn't pay his taxes, got caught and now has to pay the piper.

20. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

You said you owed them $6500 or so. Now you owe them $12,000. So, what you have to ask yourself is paying them an extra $5000 worth getting them off your back. You'll wish you did about the middle of the 6th year this thing drags on for, all the while accrewing more penalties. As said above, pay now or pay more later. You'll probably spend more than the $5K in lawyer fees. Tax attorneys don't really get involved for less than $50K; that's why all they'll do is fill out forms trying to delay the inevitable while charging you for their time.

You can try the settlement route, but they can (and will) still levy while the settlement is in process; and you're still screwed; for up to 10 years.

And yes, the IRS is above the law. The burden of proof is with the state (innocent untill proven guilty) in almost all American tort. That is, unless it involves the IRS. There, YOU have to prove you're innocent against the IRS charges; and unless you've had Price Waterhouse Cooper as an accountant from the time you were an embryo, it's almost impossible to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.