1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on high end trap guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by everettjunior, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I am currently in the market for my next trap gun. I am shooting a Perazzi MX4 right now with a db81 barrel. It has had a lot of barrel work done including back-boring etc. It also has machined chokes to shoot 100% while looking flat down the rib.

I am willing to spend up to 18k on my next trap gun. I do not shoot doubles at this time but a combo is definitely consideration because I know eventually I will give it a try. I have been looking at guns for around 7 months now. I have finally narrowed my search to a Kolar TA Max, K80 Trap Special, or a Seitz. I thought about an MX2000 but after shooting it I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. I am very sensitive to face recoil and that can be somewhat difficulty to avoid with most guns I am finding as I bury my head on the stock.

What I am looking for is opinions from people that have owned one or more of these guns or shot them. Yes I have searched the forums and mainly I find opinions from people that have only picked one up and never shot it. I will be trying out a K80 Trap Special this weekend at Jaquas, they finally got a few used ones in from the grand.

I shot a Seitz with a 33’’ barrel at the cardinal classic and after a bit of comb adjustment thought it was comfortable but I found myself shooting way behind targets which is not common for me to do. I assume that is attributed to the fast lock time. Is there a learning curve with this gun? If so how long?

Thank You
    Everett F. Haley, Jr

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Everett... While I am a dyed in the wool DB-81 shooter, and, personally like it better than any of the ones you mentioned (Yes, I have shot them all), I think you will be very impressed with the K80 Trap Combo. Excellent gun, and the one I shot was very easy on recoil, although it did fit me pretty well. For the money, the quality, and the service, my vote would go to the K80..... Just my opinion........Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I am going to shoot a K80 next week at Jaquas, they have a very beautiful K80 Trap Special Bavaria Royale. It has not been shot much and I will save a decent amount of money on it. I will be shooting a TA max in about 3 weeks at Middle Town. I love my DB81 too! I am just ready for a new gun, I recently finished college, finished all of my state boards, and got a great job. I am ready for a gift to myself!

Everett F. Haley, Jr

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

All you mentioned are fine guns. Shoot them all and decide by how you felt about each one. I myself am still just amazed at how much I like my K80 Trap Special. I went so far as to buy a sporting stock and 28" barrel set so now I have a sporting-skeet gun as well as a Trap Special.

5. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I know a few shooters with KS5's I believe and they can adjust there poundage on trigger pull with the turn of screw, is this the case with the K80? Also lock time on the K80 be simmilar to the Perazzi or more like a seitz?

Everett

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

If I were going to buy a new trap combo, it would have to be another Kolar and I would spend the extra $500 and have it fitted to me. I have owned K-80s, an MX2000 and a Silver Seitz and all were nice guns, but I couldn't shoot them as well as the Kolar.

Steve

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Many of the top shooters around here shoot K-80 combos - Stu Welton, Mike Stears, Derek Stringer, plus a lot of other lesser known but very good shooters. My guess is there are more K-80s than all the others combined in my area.

8. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

Everett,

I was in your same situation a couple of years back. I went to the Grand and shot every type of shotgun from every maker. You are doing the right thing by shooting the guns you are interested in buying. I chose a K-80 Trap Special due to the guns availablity of different stocks and barrels and it felt the best to me. My K-80 is set up for Trap, Sporting Clays and Skeet shooting by incorporating the different barrels and stocks available.

The only thing I would do different if I was purchasing again is buy the gun without wood and take it to DeVault Industries for a custom stock. I was fitted for a new stock last September and it was the best investment I could have made. When I was searching again for another K-80 this past June, I found you can save somewhere around $400-$700 buying a new Trap Special without wood.

Hope this information helps and good luck in your search.

Cory Kreith

9. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I like my new Kolar T/A Max. I haven't had much time to shoot it yet, but hope to make up for lost time soon. Both of the K guns can be adjusted to shoot where you want. Look at them from the perspective of handling and feel. The Kolars have always felt like they where a part of me. Bill Malcolm

10. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I would have to agree with a few posters here that the Kolar is a mighty fine trap gun. I guess I am a little biased but I really believe in that gun for me. It really comes down to what you shoot the best and what feels right to you, let that be the judge..

KK

11. Robb

Robb Member

Everett, Have you considered an Infinity? There will be two at Jaquas this weekend.

12. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

I bought my new gun last fall. I went to the World Skeet Shoot in S.A. I held and shot them all. The Kolar was to me the best feeling gun I picked up. I held a Kolar Unsingle last weekend and it felt great. Now I want to shoot it.

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Everett,

All good posts above. My two cents for light recoil and little barrel movement upon firing (without porting and recoil systems) would be the Alferman guns. As well built as any (imo) and great triggers. They point with ease and seem to get to the target by themselves. Try an Alferman before you buy. They also make an O/U.

Real good stuff IMO.

Good luck,

milt

14. BBowen

BBowen Member

everett

please see our web site: www.bbguns.net

if i can answer any questions for you or you would like some info please let me know.

my e-mail is: bbowen999@aol.com

congratulations on your recent college graduation and new job. best of luck

bruce bowen

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Follow the other shooters advice about going to see Dennis Devault, buy an Infinity if you want a single barrel gun. If you must have a combo, get whatever you want with out wood and go to Dennis. You will have a gun that will exceed your capabilities. My bud is still trying to catch up with his new Infinity. It is light years ahead of his skill level. But he is getting there real fast.

Lou

16. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I did get a chance to meet Dennis at the cardinal classic and handle the infinity, the wood and everything was great! I will be going with a stock lock system on which ever gun I go with. I have a precision fit for my perazzi with abuot 5 grips for different guns but I just do not like it as much.

I shoot with someone that has the K80 Trap Special top single with a stock lock and it feel really nice to me, but I like the feel of the under single a little more. I am not going to make it to Jaquas this weekend I am actually going in the middle of the week next week.

Does devault have a trap field to try his guns out at? I know they are located in canton.

17. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

Also I do not mean to upset anyone or make them angry with me but I do not want to pick a gun simply because it is one that a "Big Dog" or "Great Shooter" shoots, I believe that the gun plays a minimal part in sucess like they have, I want to purchase a gun that will last, feel comfortable to me, and shoot where I am looking.

Everett

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Everett, Dennis will take you out to a local club"Mud Run" for shooting, in my honest opinion, you will NOT need any recoil device on any gun he fits you with. It is akin to putting electronic stability control on a Ferrari, you have but you'll never need it or use it. Good luck, the Infinity you may have tried @ Cardinal was not for you. They are all custom made & not a fits all like a Remington 1100.

Lou

19. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Dennis Devault will take you to the Gun Club to try your Infinity or Custom Stock. I shot @ Mud Run when I had my custom fitting done.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"

20. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Everett,Fast lock time will NOT cause you to shoot behind targets-it may even help since the faster the lock time the faster the shell fires,but any advantage would be really minimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.