1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on choking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzt, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Barrel wall thickness will be the deciding factor. You can call Stu Wright and give him the appropriate barrel dimensions, and he'll say yea or nay.

I've never seen a Beretta fixed choke gun with enough metal to allow "standard" chokes to be used. Chances are you will have to go with a thin wall series. Briley does a good job with these, but be warned. If your barrel walls are at or near minimum thickness for the job, you may see threading bulges on the exterior.

Talk to Briley about this. If it were my gun, I'd have the chokes opened and leave it at that. What you pick will be determined by where you shoot. Personally, I'd pick Improved Skeet and Modified. If your courses are longer, maybe Light Modified and Improved modified.

While you are thinking about this, I'll tell you a story. When I bought my new 20b gun, I decided to got to a Sporting training class. I went up to Woodcock hill. Two instructors were assigned to me for the entire day. The shooting Instructor insisted I put in my two most open chokes. I cheated a bit and put in LS (.002") and IS (.007"). I spent the entire afternoon breaking targets with those chokes, including long right angle crossers 45 yards away. They were good breaks, not chips. That experience taught me I did not need the amount of choke I normally put in.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Eat Slower! Sorry couldn't stop myself.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I wouldn't alter the barrels of that Beretta. I would look for another gun to play the SC game with and keep the Beretta as you described it - pristine. But it is your money and your gun ....

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I second finding another gun to shoot sporting clays with as well. Leave your gun alone and as is. Break-em all. Jeff

5. ABH

ABH Member

I had a s56e that was great for pheasant and rabbit hunting. I think the gun is too lite for sporting clays. I would leave it alone and find myself a legitimate SC gun.

ART H.

6. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Many top sporting clay shooters use tight chokes...until you havea little more experience I would leave the chokes alone and shoot spreader loads on the in your face targets.I have shot the more open chokes and the very tight chokes and really on most normal courses I can't tell a significate difference...after you have shot sporting awhile you will probably change guns anway,then you can make you choke decesion.

Buster

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Those are old guns and parts are not readily available. You might try contacting Cole's ... http://www.colegun.com/ ... and see if the newer barrels are compatible. I tend to agree with some of the posters above that it would probably be more cost effective to buy another gun. Bill Malcolm

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

The Heimlich maneuver is supposed to be the best method...............YUK YUK
    D.P.Reynolds...........YUK........LOL

Sorry if that wasn't the anwser ya wanted,but I'm with Bruce on that one!!!!!

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

waste of money to screw-choke a 28" gun, get a 30" or 32" gun and you won't regret it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.