1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need shooting glass help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I finally broke down and got an eye exam and need corrective lens for shooting!
    I presently use Post 4 Titanium frames, I think?! Hell, I am not even sure! If
    I want Lehman or whoever to make the lens, do I have to send them the frame to properly fit or how does this work?! I need all the advice I can get on this! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Contact post 4, they are great, stay with them, give them your Rx.Sorry I don't have the web address.

3. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Tom,

They can make the lenses with out you sending them the frames as long as you know for sure who the manufacture is,all lenses are a little different. You will want to have your PD on your prescription card,eye doctor needs to measure the Pupillary Distance, so they can correctly set the vision correction in your lenses.

Hope this helps

Dennis

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tom,

If you went to an eye guy who is not a shooter you might have a problem with the perscription he gave you. Rifle, pistol and shotgun shooting with iron sights require different perscriptions to get optimum performance.

For example in pistol shooting you want the sights to be crystal clear and in shotgun shooting you want the target to be in perfect focus. You can't have it both ways because the eye can only focus at one distance at a time.

For shotgun shooting it is helpful to have a perscrition that makes it easy for the eye to focus on the target which is far away in relation to the sights. If the perscription is too strong your eye will wind up looking at the sights(bead checking), instead of being focused on the target.

It is best to send him the frames so you get a perfect lens fit. HMB

5. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Web page for Post 4.http://www.post4optics.com/

Amen to what HMB is telling you. I had this happen to me several years ago and not knowing any different I wound up with lenses that would not work.

Dennis

6. tcr1146

Thanks guys! I explained exactly what I wanted and was trying to accomplish and I think he knows what I wanted and needed! Tom Rhoads

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tom, to the advice you received above I'd add to make sure your Pupillary Distance was measured with a machine, not a ruler. You should get a pair of numbers. Mine happen to be 33/30. It makes a big difference to be when the optical centers are placed where they are supposed to be.

I'd also recommend Lehman Optical. They are the only ones who will make each lens with the correct PD. Post 4 and Rively just average the PD and make both lenses the same.

8. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used Decot, Post 4 and Lehman. Lehman is the best for my scripts. I use only distance in my shooting lenses. Also, Lehman has a good selection of colors for your specific background you are shooting against. Tom is very knowledgable about what we need. Hope this helps, If I ever bought another frame, it would be Lehman.

9. tcr1146

ZZT! At the bottom of my script, it says: PD OD 31.4 and OS 34! Can you tell me if that is what I need and what it means?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

10. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Tom,

I think this will explain it.

PD = PUPILLARY DISTANCE - This measurement is used to accurately center the lenses in the frame that you have selected. PD is the distance from the center of the pupil (black circle) in one eye to the center of the pupil in the other eye. It is called Binocular PD. In cases where the pupils are not equidistant from the nose, a monocular PD is required. Monocular Pupil Distance is measured from the centerline of the nose to each pupil. In such a case you will have different values for the right eye (OD PD) and the left eye (OS PD). Another reason for more than one Pupil Distance is the need to correct both distance and near vision. In this case the prescription will state Near PD and Dist PD. The Near PD measurement is shorter than the Distance PD by 2 to 5 mm because the eyes turn in at near distance.

This was copied and pasted from a google search

Dennis

11. tcr1146

Thanks Clayman! I think that answers all my questions. Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.