1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need shipping help on a long gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Sep 13, 2013.

1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I need help on shipping a long gun?! I now have a copy of the ffl I am to send it to! I am shipping ups and thank God, they know it is okay! My question is: what do I do with the ffl info?! Do I put it in the box, fasten it to the outside of the box or what?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads p.s. Yes, I tried ups, but of course all I got what an electronic answer and could not ask them what to do!

2. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

The FFL is your copy for your records.

3. tcr1146

Really?! It is just something to cover my butt? Tom Rhoads

4. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I suggest you verify that the FFL is legitimate and also call them to make sure they'll accept a gun from a private individual. Ask them how they would like it shipped as far as address and packaging. Some don't care, but I prefer to address the label discreetly so it doesn't shout gun inside, for example, the FFL owner's name instead of gun shop. Pack well enough to prevent damage from UPS and I suggest you double box. Packing guidelines require 2.5 inches of packing material, but almost no one does that much for a gun. I do. I get large boxes from the local bike store and cut them down. I use strapping tape that I buy in bulk so it's cheap. Tape is cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot too. UPS can be really abusive at times, so fully insure. Put information inside the box stating the buyers name. May seem like a lot, but better safe than sorry and it doesn't take much effort to pack well.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The shipper will copy the receiving FFL and keep one copy at the shipping point and one goes inside the package. This document is not just for your records.

The best way to curb abuses is to insure the package for full replacement cost. Of course the more the more the insurance the more it will cost you. If the insured amount is over $5K, UPS requires signatures and condition of package checks at each transfer point.

6. tcr1146

Thanks guys! I will take necessary info to the hub where I am shipping it from! Tom Rhoads

7. tcr1146

Wolfram: It just occurred to me! Why would I put a copy inside the box when it is being shipped to that ffl licensee?! Tom Rhoads

8. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Follow magnums advice,he's right on the money.

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

One thing I might add is have a clear return discussion if this is a sale. Non-shooting or shooting three day inspection, buyer pays for all fees to return, or sold as is as described. Detailed photographs, detailed descriptions, and proper packing avoids returns and complaints. Good luck.

10. tcr1146

Wow! It must all depend on who you use to ship with! I took this gun to the UPS hub and she gave me a hard look and asked, "I need to know exactly what is in this package?" I told her it was a target shotgun and that I was shipping it to an ffl licensee to the address noted. She asked was there any ammo in the box and of course there was not! She then wanted to know if it was his home or business. I answered his business. She then said since it was a shotgun, it could go ground. She then wanted to know if I wanted additional insurance and how much. She then calculated the cost and told me it would arrive on 19 Sept. No, I repeat no request to see, copy, put in the box, etc, the ffl info!! So guys, do your own research and contact the shipper and hope you get one that knows the real regs! Tom Rhoads

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

The FFL is for 1) your verification of legitimacy which you can do on line and 2) for your records. No need to put a copy in the box. UPS can ship long guns via ground service with adult receipt signature. Ammo, per UPS rules, must be shipped in a separate package.

blade819

blade819