1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

** Need Serious Help and Advice on Flintching

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pony Keg, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

I have been shooting my entire life. Shotguns, rifles, pistols, I have been very highly trained in the military and law enforcement.
    For some strange reason, I have developed a flintch. The flintch doesn't always happen, I mount the gun, call for the target, drive the bead to the target and my mind will not let me pull the trigger for a second and then the gun fires. by this time I am off the target and it is a loss. I do not think it is mechanical. I think it might be mechanical/psychological. This only started about 4 months ago. At first I was sure I had major trigger issues. Then, I purchased a Seitz and it happened. I cannot figure out when it comes. It can happen twice in 25 or not happen in 300 rounds. The worst part of this is now I know I have a flintch and it is in me HEAD. I am about to give up competing if I cannot figure this out.

Please only serious advice or help. Please no crap or jokes. This is on akin to a shank in golf or a glitch in a pitchers delivery. It comes out of no where and can destroy a career.

Thanks,

Jeff Warren

2. jimsw

jimsw Member

In the final analysis there is only one cure. Release trigger. I shot for more than 25 years and two years ago developed a terrible flinch virtually overnight. On Wednesday everything was fine, on Sunday I couldn't pull the trigger. I had watched a friend try to work it out for almost two years with no success. He went to a release and is on the 2007 All American Team. He had made the team prior to the flinch.

Don't worry about where it comes from, you have it and you need to take action now. Many of the top shooters shoot releases, learn from their experience.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Jeff,

Get a release trigger. Not only will you quit losing targets to your flinch, you will pick up more targets because it will improve your move to all targets.

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Get a release trigger.

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pony Keg, before you go to a let it go trigger, try increasing the poundage pull to 4.5 lbs. If you still have the flinch, you could go to 5lbs. Worked for me. Try to stay away from a release, it is very risky. Many shoot a release, however, you can also shoot with one that has a problem with releasing them too early, which makes good graffitti on the back of the trap house etc. Just my input, thanks, Roy

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

IMHO you must first identify the cause. I developed a bad flinch about 2 years ago. I went to a PFS, which help some. My flinch was caused by shoulder pain. I have had xray and MRI inspection as well as cortisone shots...nothing made it completely go away. I have now taken a piece of the rubberized material you find in RV stores, used to stop things from shifting on the shelves. I tri-fold a piece about 10" by 16" and put that piece under my shooting shirt. It is thin enough not to change the gun fit, but it absorbs the shock and no more flinch. I shot an 87 & 88 in singles one day...put the new pad in and shoot 97 & 95 the next day. Won my singles event, yesterday, with a 95...no flinches.

You can also have sight flinches. Have your eyes changed, focus etc???

Good luck.

JON

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jeff: I am a former firearms instructor and felt that if I had to ever utilize a release trigger; I would quit shooting. Well, I finally swallowed my pride and went to a release trigger. It's the greatest thing since "sliced bread". I tried it all; weight in the stock, recoil reducers, 1 ounce loads, lightened the trigger pull, made the trigger pull heavier, etc, etc. All I did was spend money. Go to a release and you will be happy. Try it; give it an honest chance and you will be happy. Ed

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Release trigger. End of story. And, most of us who use them think it is a better system flinch or no. Jake

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I also developed a flinch about 4 months ago.

It is not recoil. I think I "lose" the target. It happens about 3 birds out of a hundred.

I tried shooting faster - not "riding" the bird - that helped for a while.

I am trying to work it out. You are allowed two FTF per sub event and I have been able to let the bird go and shoot again about 35% of the time. The other times I take a long shot and break it maybe 2 our of 3 attempts.

If I cannot address the problem with concentration I will go to a release. But I hope not to do that.

Don

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont even like the word- much less pondering it

fit of gun is number one- its not recoil but your brain telling you something isnt right

release trigger would be number 2

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pony Keg:

Several years before I developed a ruinous flinch, I read a magazine article about flinching. In the author's opinion, release triggers were a "gimmick" to be avoided. He went on to postulate some goofy theory about the "real" reason people flinch and a similarly goofy theory about fixing them.

The author was full of it... My ruinous flinch was gone the very first time I tried a release trigger. The first year after I switched, I jumped three singles classes and earned three yards.

sissy

PS to DevIl'sAdvoCatE:

Silly me, I thought that release trigger cured my flinch. Apparently, it only taught me how to "acquire the target quickly and clearly". Either way, I don't flinch with a release trigger and I never "acquire targets quickly and clearly" when I try to pull a trigger.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Several things can cause a flinch. Unfortunately, once you "get a flinch" removing the initial cause often does not get rid of the flinch.

First try increasing the pull weight of the trigger. This might help. If not, then get a release trigger.

If you go to a release, intuitively, you will lean toward a release/pull for doubles. Don't make this mistake. A release/pull can best be described, in my opinion, as a release/flinch trigger. Double release triggers are very nice.

Pat Ireland

13. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

You probley need release trigger and driving the bead seems your aiming instead of pointing look at the targets not the bead . eyes mind and hands work togather

Pat Kelley

14. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

I would make sure my head is level enough that you are seeing the target well, if not you will flinch, and increase the pull poundage before going to a release. I shoot a release and have for many years .Randy Ross, Nora's husband was close to going to a release, he send his gun and had the impact point raised and got to where he keeps the target visiabe at all times and now has no problems. If you look at his caps average it will attest to it.I myself believe that most flinches are sight problems.

Terry Dean

15. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I have shot over 15,000 targets this target year and this is my first full year in ATA. I started taking lessons and my scores increased. I shot my first 100X100 in singles this year and gained 3.5 yards in caps. Then, my Avg started to drop because of what I thought was an issue with my Browning XT triggers. I had them fixed and set at 3.5 lbs each. I purchesed a Seitz and a PFS for it. I have a lot of natural ability from years of shooting. I believe that my sub-conscious doesn't want me to pull the trigger if something is wrong. I will try meditation and just letting it go for the rest of this season. In the off season I will continue to work on this approach. If it doesn't get any better I will try a release trigger in the Seitz. I still need a lot of practice with that gun. I will NOT let this stress me out anymore.

Thanks,

Jeff Warren

16. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Try the release......

Of course, I'm about the only one on here that likes a release/pull for doubles, so my opinion could be suspect...........

Good luck!!!!

Ric C.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- What color of glasses is best for shooting Gold Finches?

Pat Ireland

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jeff..... Do yourself a favor and switch to a release now, not later. From what you describe, no amount of meditating is going to help you cure the flinch. If you continue to shoot the rest of the season with what you have, you may as well just put your gun away and save your money. It's not going to get any better. The sooner you go to a release, the sooner your problem will go away. Don't kid yourself here. From what you say, you are a well trained shooter, and you know darn well that, if you are a serious shooter, you are going to stress out about this problem until it is resolved. Don't even think about anything else other than switching to a double release set up. If you go to release/pull, you are again wasting your money since you will, in the long run, switch to double releases. We all do. Once you have made the switch, practice until it becomes second nature to you to use them and never look back. It's the best decision you will ever make regarding trapshooting....Just my experience........Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jeff: Dan Thome gives good advice. I switched to a release in my Model 12 and my Beretta 682 O/U. (The greatest thing since sliced bread) However, I went with a release /pull in the 682 and now will have to pay extra to have it converted to a release/release. Just the cost of being "bull headed" I guess. Ed

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed.... I offered Jeff my advice based on a "been there, done that" experience. I don't know, to this day, why I resisted going to release/release when I switched. Several of my friends that shot double releases warned me that it wouldn't work in the long run, but, I thought I could easily handle a release/pull trigger without any difficulies at all. For the first few months I had it, it didn't bother me at all. Then, out of the blue, I started having trouble with that second shot. I wasn't flinching, I was instinctively trying to "set" the trigger for the second shot, causing the gun to fire long before I reached the target. After realizing what was going on, I had the trigger redone for double releases and the problem immediatly went away. I had absolutely no trouble at all adapting to setting the second trigger, since it seemed so natural for me to do.....Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flintching trap shooting