1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need self defense ammo advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Where is a good place to make a major purchase, say 500 rounds, of 12 ga self defense ammo? Low recoil would be nice but not vital.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What do you mean by self defense ammo? Number T steel shot would be tough to beat or for close range number 9 lead shot for use in a building

I dont think you need anything else

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Not" California?

I'm with Gene on this. (First time ever). If the assailant you're "defending" yourself against is far enough away that No. 6 won't work...you're gonna have a hard time selling the jury that it was really self-defense.

At our monthly action pistol shoots, I'm amazed with what kind of loads the shotgun shooters show up with, for shooting steel plates. Some of them dig their feet in the dirt like a batter in the batter's box, to keep the stuff from knocking them over.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I bought 250 rounds of #4 buck Tactical LE federals at a gun show a year or so ago. I think I paid under $100 out the door. They are not too bad recoil wise and the few I ran over a chronograph were just under 1200 fps. Remington also has a "managed" recoil Buckshot load. I actually like #1 Buck or larger, but the #4 would be less prone to over penetrate structures, expecially at the reduced velocities. I have a bunch of the old Winchester plated Buckshot loads with #1, 0, and 00 sized buck, but they kick a little. I have not chronographed them, but they should be pretty stout from the feel. My 12ga home defense shotgun is stuffed with the #1 Buck version of the Winchesters. They were the most impressive with penetration, pattern, and just manageable enough for easy followup shots. These are all 2 3/4" shells.

The best thing I could tell you is to shop around. Buckshot loads might be on sale, since deer season is in the offing in many areas. I've seen some really high prices and some more reasonable. If you see a deal, pick it up. I've seen Rio Royal Buck Low Recoil 00 for around $85 a flat. I would not trust my life to it, but it's another option.

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I used to shoot bowling pins(5 on a table) with hand loaded 1 1/8 of #4 Buck at 1200fps,worked great on a 5 shot string. Very low recoil, fast recovery and took the pins off the table.......GOOD LUCK

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Many gun shops sell the Remington Managed Recoil Buck Shot loads. I suggest large pellets for best effect. Bird shot has not proven to be a definitive fight stopper.

Cheaper Than Dirt probably has this in stock if a local shop does not or will not stock it. It is a regular seller for us.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Go with the plated low recoil buckshot if you can find it, birdshot is for birds, it will work on two legged critters but you have to be real close and you can't depend on it further out. People worry way too much about over-penetration, you have to survive first.

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"you have to be real close and you can't depend on it further out."

Seems like a shotgun is for indoor defense, not parking garages. If you're so far out that a load of #4's isn't a deterrent, maybe it's not self defense anymore.

9. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

AMMO Rio 00 Buckshot 130/51.74 40 cents a round shipped

http://bargainammunition.com/page9.php

Free Shipping on $50

Rio Royal Buck RB129, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", #00, 1345 fps, 5 Rd/Bx

$1.99

or

RIO ROYAL STAR 12GA 2 3/4'' 1 1/8OZ 1410FPS SLUGS BOX 0F 5

$2.34

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If I thought I needed 500 rounds of 12ga to defend myself, I think I'd just move. LOL.

-Gary

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Bird shot is for birds, buckshot is for stopping your opponent!
    See what this guy has to say:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

12. sharpshooter58

sharpshooter58 TS Member

If you need 500 rounds... You need more help than this site can accommodate.
    What ever you can put thru the tube to stop the threat is sufficient.

Kurt

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Before anyone poo poos the T size steel shot or number 1 or even 2 steel -- or number 9 lead ( 1 1/8 once both loads) - try the steel at 30 yards on a pattern board with open choke and the 9 at 10 yards

and then put a phone book of significant thickness at both ranges

finally repeat the test- with pattern board and shoot quickly from the hip or try to quickly mount and fire

look at your pattern and penetration

you will be shocked -- at how tight the buckshot shoots and how likely you are to miss the target with it compared to the steel with more pellets

the number 9 is devastating at 10 yards

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

wireguy,

Purchasing commercial ammo is the way to go; strongly advise against using your own reloads for legal reasons. Did a research on this topic some time back and if memory serves me right, the suggestion was for #4 buckshot as the best compromise in terms of terminal ballistics and overpenetration. If I find the original site, I'll post it on here for you. I tend to side with the Fackler, et al group rather than Marshall & Sanow when it come to choosing self-defense ammo.

Chichay

Chichay

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

There is no legal reason not to use reloads for self defense. Anyone that says there is needs to site the case and show some proof. It's just BS started by a gun writer with nothing else to write about and spread by the internet. If you have to shoot somebody and you are JUSTIFIED it will not matter what you used. All that matters is whether you where JUSTIFIED period. I get so tired of hearing about the prosecutor who will go after you if you use reloads or had any work done to your gun, prove it. On the other hand if you wrongly shoot some one you can be sure you will be prosecuted but not for the weapon or ammo you happened to use.

The only reason I've ever heard not to use reloads that makes any sense is because it would make the ballistic investigation a little harder because of comparison but if you have any left over reloads that argument doesn't even work.

If all I could get to to defend my family was my 458 winchester I wouldn't hesitate to put a big ole solid into some bad guy or an axe or chainsaw for that matter.

What are you gonna do?

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I buy a lot of AA Super Handicap shells for self defense. If they are not needed for defense, then I shoot them for handicap.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.