1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Savage 440 Trap Info.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Guys I would like any input you may have on a Savage 440 Trap OU. I have been offered one and was wondering how it would work out for a youth gun at our club.
    Thanks, Carey

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have one I inherited from my mentor. I primarily hunted with it but still shot it a bunch. The only thing I would say is that inorder to shoot top barrel, the little bar must be pushed forward each time after opening. This may be somewhat cumbersome for new/young shooter to remember.

Mine finally got to where it wouldn't always fire top barrel after bottom. Never got it fixed although always meant to and someday Phil will have it.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I bought one new back in the early 70's when I first started shooting trap. I won my first state trophy with it. The gun served me well until I thought I needed a mod. 12.

Martin, not a hunting gun. Shame on you.

Steve

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

AA, I haven't been able to look down a barrel using a field stock since I was 9 or 10. I know by twelve I was putting moleskin on trap stocks to make em work along with bending barrels.

This was a darn fine pheasant gun. It was credited with a large part of the 131 wild roosters I shot one year.

I apologize Carey for answering AA on your thread.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I also apologize. Just ribbing Martin a little there. Most field guns don't work for me when hunting anymore either.

Steve

6. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Not a problem guys, I went to look at the gun today and the guy had sold it. All worked out for the best though he sold me 14000 CCI 209 primers for $20 a thousand and I left a happy camper.
    Carey

7. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I had a 440B. A nice looking shotgun, however the inertia block failed and had to be replaced. And the gun would double if you changed firing order with the selctor in the fire position. Try that with a 1 1/2 oz load using blue dot.This was traded between three friends and I think we spent enough money having it repaired we could of bought a citori. I ordered new stocks from gunparts and had them fitted. It looked really nice. My friends wife bought the gun for him as a christmas gift. The day after christmas he decided to pick up the gun case it was in, it wasnt zipped, stock cracked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

440 trap

savage 440

savage 440b trap shooting