1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED RV Advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Howdy all..just purchased a travel trailer today a 29ft with all appliances..I would like to know from everybody with experience in portable generators. We plan on going to areas that will be standalone and am not worried about having any more wattage than is needed for than running the AC at bedtime and a couple of lights...I want to stay as small and potable as possible...will 1500watts handle the AC?

2. hoser

hoser Member

NO, 1500 won't handle it.

Around 3500 would be minimum.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

A good number of the people I know who have purchased TTs without generators have gone to the Honda 3000 to power their rooftop AC units and other electic needs. A Coleman Mach 3 AC unit (13,500 BTU) pulls about 15 amps at max cool and about 1950 watts on a 100 degree day.

Mike

4. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

We have a trailer with a generator and we still have the Honda 2000, it is very portable and will run all day on a tank of gas. the one bad thing is that it will not run the generator. you can link up 2 2000s to run the generator tho and they would still be pretty portable

5. CalvinMD

my new unit has a 15,000BTU AC unit that is ducted,..so how much will this monster weigh,..my back is not what it used to be

6. CalvinMD

Im sorry Bill?? do you mean "not run the AC"??
    TailIl..have you ran it at all? Quiet and lightweight are the two most important things to me

7. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Whatever brand you settle on.....I did see something clever when I was out to Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills.

A fellow had modified a refridgerator moving dolly with larger tires and brackets to hold his Yamaha generator and an auxillary fuel tank above it. He could wheel the whole unit a few yards away from his camper and had a large enough tank to run it all week. The Yamaha was a particularly quiet unit from what I observed.

When they broke camp, he just dollied the whole unit into the back of his pick-up by himself.

Bob

8. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

Yea sorry typo i hear the Honda 3000 are very good also

9. kreith

kreith Member

This was one previous discussion on here. Check it out.

Good luck.

Cory

10. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Onan now makes a unit that fits into a trailer hitch at the rear of the RV. It is enclosed and should fit your needs.

Clyde

11. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Don't know what make/model your AC unit is but here is the data sheet on the 15000 BTU Coleman. Looks like it still pulls only about 2100 watts. You will thank yourself if you buy the quietest generator. Those open frame commercial-style generators make one hell of a racket, especially when you're trying to sleep.

Mike

12. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I had a Kawasaki 2300, very quiet and it would run the air along with a tV or a couple of lights. The generator would grunt a little when you first turned on the air but once it got rolling it was fine. That Yamaha is supposed to be quite a rig to. I saw a fellow last year runninga 2800 yamaha extremely quiet. I did some reading on these and the 2500 is supposed to run the air. Very small too and light. I have a 5000 Honda which is 68 decibals and it isnt too bad. I have a fifth wheel so I unhook turn the truck around facing the rear of the trailer and you dont hardly hear it all. I removed the legs and handels and wheels from the maching and now it fits in the back of my truck just ahead of hitch and my tonneau cover will close also. Good luck. I like the price of those champions and the price is right. Id like to hear one run though. Hope this helps alex Kotter superior wisconsin

13. CalvinMD

Keep the input coming guys!!...like I said, other than a couple of 12v lights( that I think will run fine by my leaving the truck attached) the only appliance that will be run is the AC...nothing else...all else will be run on gas that can be. We will be true running in the most power frugal mode we can just to stay cool

14. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Had a friend camping with me this weekend. He has the Honda EU3000 Inverter. You could hardly tell it was running. It powered his 30 ft trailer and my 32 ft trailer. I has the power to run your AC if you wish. You won't be disappointed.

However, need 2 people to hoist in and out of p/u. Probably don't have to take out of your p/u if you have a long extension for your power supply.

Honda makes a great generator all others try to copy.

15. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Worked on many an R.v. Throught the years. That is. Motor Homes, Trvel Trailers,truck Campers,Fold outs and even others. To start off with you need at least a 4500 Watt Generator This will run an ac. unit about a 7thou BTU but no bigger. That is the smallest then you find the 5000 Watter This will run a 14thou BTU and have some left over for a couple lights and a charge on a battery. there are bigger ones but then the price gets pricer. But they run Ac Units & Fridgerators as well as lights and a charging system. Along with other items available on your systm. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

16. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"To start off with you need at least a 4500 Watt Generator This will run an ac. unit about a 7thou BTU but no bigger. That is the smallest then you find the 5000 Watter This will run a 14thou BTU and have some left over for a couple lights and a charge on a battery."</blockquote>

I'm not sure how old the RVs you worked on were, but if you check the class Cs on most lots, you'll find that, for years, they have come standard with 4 Kw (that's 4000 watt) Onans or Generacs if gas and 3600 watt models if propane. A 4000 watt Onan will power a 13,500 BTU RV AC unit, a microwave, a toaster, some lights and a TV simultaneously, all day long and use only a half-gallon of gas per hour doing it.

That is the one failing of a portable generator: they rarely have the fuel capacity to run heavy draw items for extended periods of time without refueling.

Mike

17. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Cal
    Another desireable feature (which the HONDA 3kw unit has) is for the generator to drop to idle when the electrical load drops. Something else you may want to consider is to install a solar panel on the roof of your travel trailer. You won't be able to run your a/c but it will recharge the batteries during the daytime and will run the 12V lights during the evening.

Rem31TC

18. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have the Honda 3000 and it runs the air on my 31 foot Fifth wheel like a champ. There are air units out there that seem to draw more than the rest. Before you buy, check it out. Save yourself some pain. It is quiet and that's a major plus, especially when you are at shoots and out camping.

A friend of mine went the other route and picked up two 2000's. That way he can handle them by himself. Either way, I would stay with Honda or Yamaha. Except for the color difference, you can't tell them apart. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are made in the same factory.

Rickyd

19. CalvinMD

I definantly have to be able to move them on my own,..

20. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Calvin: I feel you can get by with a 3000 Watt generator. (Just be cognizant of what you want to run). It seems that noise/weight are primary concerns. I would either get a Honda or a Yamaha. Both fine machines, quiet and trouble free. Compare them and choose. You can't go wrong with either one. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.