1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need replacement for PB powder...too much $$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pullbangloss, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I've been shooting PB my whole trapshooting career but with the price of this stuff I'm looking for a more affordable replacement. Anyone make the switch? If so which powder best represents PB? Any input on grains, price, etc. would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks in advance.

Matt Ski

2. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

If you are looking for a replacement for PB try Solo 1250 same as PB and a lot cleaner and uses same loading Data and works well and is also cheaper.I have used it workes well.

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I was an avid user of PB powder, also, because of cost I went to a less expensive powder.

I now use Hodgdon’s Clays for singles and doubles and International for handicap. This powder meters very well in my Grabber and is clean burning.

Go the Hodgdon web site (the URL above) and select a load to meet your requirements.

Frank

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ditto Frank {Pull Bang]. Fred

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Step up to Green Dot, Red Dot or American Select. The Alliant plant is near my home and I play poker with one of the powder chemists every other Wednesday. He does not play cards well and if you buy one of these fine powders, he might get a raise. He needs it.

Pat Ireland

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X for everything....

Curt

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Before you change from a product that has served you well and with which you are very satisfied, do some math and see just how much more per box of shells it costs to use.

Ed

8. Bob M

Bob M Member

I'm with Ed. (Although, I use 7625 for everything so maybe Ed and I are just a little nuts) I made up a spreadsheet and ran the numbers and found it was a very small percentage of overall cost. This small percentage was countered by the 'measures like water' metering of 7625 (PB too) and the confidence established over years of loading, burning, and smelling the stuff. I have used International in a pinch and it is great powder, it just isn't 7625.

Try a pound and see if you like International or Green Dot, but the overall savings is really not that great.

9. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

To all that have responded, thank you!

Steve,
    I load 22.5 PB, Fed 209A, Windjammer, STS/Nitro Hull and also the same load only with a Fed Wad and Fed Hull.

Matt Ski

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll continue to load PB only because I'm stuck with over 100 Lbs. of that stuff. Load 20.5 grs in a Remington or AA hull with an AA wad and 1 1/8oz. shot- makes a great 16yd. load. Remington primers in Remingtons and Winchester in Winchesters. It's a real sweetheart load!!

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ollie -

If you want to get unstuck from that 100# so you can move on to a new powder, please drop me a PM. I'll be glad to help you out!! LOL!!

Jeff

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

What's PB stand for? I shoot everything Hodgdon. Dave T.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

GoldEx, I feel your pain. Bought that stuff on closeout for $6/lb. Probably the nicest powder I've ever used!!

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well Dave, you won't feel like you're with strangers if you try some PB as Hodgdon's owns IMR, the company that makes PB (which stands for Porous Base, I'm told).

Ed

15. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Yes it stands for Porous Base, I would also agree to checking exactly how much more it costs to use over other comparative powders, such as International Clays.

There IS NO cleaner powder than PB, no more versatile powder in all temperatures, my very best/faultless 12 ga 3/4 oz load uses PB.

That said, any propellant that will get the shot out the end of the barrel at a reasonable velocity will break a target. All are better than we are.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

PB stands for Pull Bang. HMB

17. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

700X less expensive but higher felt recoil due to higher pressures. Shot is the highest cost item in reloading followed by primers.

18. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

PB is very clean in the gun, but very messy for the loader. I moved to International Clays back when the PB plant was fubar, and availability was poor.

I am very happy with my loads now and PB is but a shadowy memory

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

"higher felt recoil due to higher pressures"..... stick around John, you'll learn.

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I normally use Winchester WST, but have tried Clays, Int'l Clays, and many other. I tried Promo because it was so damn cheap. I can buy it locally for close to $70/8 pounds.

It loads almost identically to Red Dot (factory says it is a bit more dense), which would tell me to use a tad bit smaller bushing.

I use it for singles and 27 yards. It does leave a small bit or residue in the barrel, but the next shot takes care of that. Nothing more that WST does.

In all honesty, I would whole-heartedly recommend PROMO.

I have chronographed my reloads and PROMO has fine results.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what powder replaces pb