1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Need Remington 1100 Gunsmith

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I have broken the operating handle detent assembly in my early model 1100.The result is the operating handle will not stay in place. I think I need to ship the Action Bar Lock Assembly to a good 1100 gunsmith.

Any recommendations on a good 1100 gunsmith?

Jim
  2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

The early 1100's had a metal piece that slid into the assembly to hold the detent ball in place. It was pretty common for that piece to break, is that what broke on yours? There's hardly anything on an 1100 that a person can't buy the part and fix themselves. A gunsmith charges for his time, whether he's working on a Perazzi or a Remington 1100. Even replacing the entire bolt would be cheaper than sending it to a gunsmith - especially a good gunsmith.
  3. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Dickgtax:
    Yes the little metal piece you describe is exactly what broke on mine. It doesnt look hard to replace but I cant identify it in the parts lists I have.
    Any idea where I can get one?

jim
  4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Just a thought here, Is the extractor the same size on the newer 1100's as the older models? There might be a need for some modification to get a fit. Yes or No?

Bob
  5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Gotta agree with dickgtax. 1100s are pretty simple and are easy to repair. Now if you are at a state shoot or the Grand where gunsmiths are just drop it by and they can fix it. But if you have to go look for a smith or mail it to somebody just try and fix it yourself. What is the worst thing that can happen? You have to send it to a gunsmith?

Years ago I purchased a copy of "Gunsmithing: Shotguns" by "Patrick Sweeney" at a "Barnes and Noble" It shows you how to repair: "Mossberg 500", "Remington 870 & 1100", and "Browning A-5". With the help of that book I've did all the repairs on my 1100 that needed to be done.

It was fun to do the work and it wasn't complicated.

Bisi

PS - just checked "amazon" and the book I mentioned above is still available. They want $75 for a new book. I don't think the book is worth that much. I know I sure as heck didn't pay that much. A gunsmith might be cheaper than the book. <>
  6. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I have the Jerry Kuhnhausen book on 870s and 1100s, along with an 1100 owners manual and think I can probably fix it if I can find the parts. Will try Remington in the morning for parts but the manuals I have dont show a part number.

Any part source ideas?

Jim
  7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

If you can find that little beveled metal piece that holds the detent ball, you better get 2 or 3, because it's going to break again. If you can't you might have to buy a newer action bar with the current bolt handle retainer.
    That change was made quite a long time ago, so you may be able to find a used assembly complete with the detent ball and spring. A gunsmith won't be able to help you unless he happens to have the part.
  8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I used to have an excellent site bookmarked that had a part list and diagram of the 1100 in pdf form. Can't seem to find it now, but if you google or bing it, I'm sure it will come up somewhere. Try the site above, it might help.
  9. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Got it folks thanks for the info
    Jim
  10. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

My machinist buddy made that retainer ball piece for me in about 5 minutes. I could not find a new one. The new bolt will not fix the problem, it is in the action bar where the new style and old style differ. Of course he had the right thickness piece of steel laying around.
  11. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Tripod: DO you happen to know the material type? Dimensions?

Jim
  12. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

Shipbuilder, I do not. I had the old broken piece and we found a like piece of metal in his scrap pile so it must have been a common thickness. We just cut it to size, drilled the hole and beveled the bottom side so the ball would be held in place. The slot in the action connection will reveal the thickness and dimensions you need to make the piece though.
  13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: common for that piece to break

My wife many years ago had a handle come off on a 28 gauge while shooting. She had the old type shooting glasses. Broke the lens.

Remington replaced it.

When buying an older 1100, the first thing I change out...
  14. DanLee

DanLee Member

What you're looking for is the operating handle plunger retainer. Midway has it for $4. Buy a couple. They don't break often, but who knows how long replacements will be available.

http://tinyurl.com/7qg65hk

Hope the link works.
  15. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Thanks for the info
  16. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Bob/All:

Found the part at Pidgeons Gun Shop Middlebury VT. Midway had them for 20,28 and 410 but not for 12.

Thanks for the help,could not have done this w/o TS.Com.

Jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.