1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need remedy for Black Lab calus on elbows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pullbangloss, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I've got a black lab that has developed calus' (sp) on both elbows. One is now broken open due to the cold weather in Michigan. My buddy says there is an ointment that can be put on which will cure the calus' and even make hair grow back. Anyone know of this product of know of a rememdy?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Krizinski

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Matt: I may be steering you wrong on this; but if I'm wrong it won't hurt. We had a lab that had this problem. We rubbed vaseline on the area and after a while this situation was resolved. Now, I'm not saying this is an approved method or will solve your problem; but it sure can't hurt to try it. Ed

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Neosporin. The greasy kind. May have to protect it for a while 'til the wound closes. Use that good flexible, stretchy and sticky wrap over the medicine. Shouldn't take long.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a lab that had that problem and except for a flareup that sounds like yours- he lived till nearly 15 without harm

One thing I have aways wondered is if you could get them to lay on plastic planting- if that would help the problem- both in a dog house or the run

the cheap type of bacitracian or neospori will work to resolve the problem of the cracks being open but again my dog lived till 15 and had this condition form most of his adult life

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Bag balm seems to work for a lot of skin issues.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Aloe gel

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Eliminate the cause of the problem - have the dog lay on a softer bed. Most of the time the problem is caused by the dog lying or sleeping on a hard surface. My vet actually form a pad for serious, chronic conditions. They can be serious if the joint swells.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The best ointment made for your pup is called Nustock www.nustock.com

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the callouses just the bleeding cracks. Most labs have the callouses.

10. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Well I took esoxhunter's advice and have tried the vaseline. It works really well.

Remington doesn't lick it either which I was surprised. Maybe if it was pork chop flavored vaseline...

Thanks for the input guys.

Matt Krizinski

11. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Try blue kote it works great and it's water proof, you can put some gauze and some elastic tape on it and change it it every 2day if it is draining a lot and this will do wonders. This is what my vet gave me after surgery to help in heling the wound.

thanks
    lee.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.