1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Reloading Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Mc, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Without looking at the loading data that you have listed -- I can tell you that the components you are trying to stuff into the hull are filling it beyond what the case will hold -- that is why it either buckles under to much pressure or won't crimp with a lighter amount of force -- back off the amount of powder or go to a powder that will do the job with less volume -- also try raising the crimp heads up a little at a time and that may take care of it

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If the shell is bucking there are three possible causes. Crip pressure set too deep, Powder volume too much, or height of wad colum too high. If you think your crip is set properly then you will either have to back off the powder volume or reduce the wad colum height.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I don't load international but you might try adjusting the cam action since you say that the crimp stage has been adjusted.

4. blkfin

blkfin Member

Had the same problem, also used clays and red dot. I only loaded 17.5 grains and they still crushed 1 out of about 10. Changed to AA wads and it seemed to solve the problem Hope this helps Mike K.

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Also had this problem with AA hulls loading 18 grains of clays with a windjammer wad. Adjusted the loader every which way and still was having problems with the shells buckling. So after loading about 200 of the AA's, I finally got pissed and trashed the rest of them, and shot what I had loaded. Now I load gun club or STS hulls with the same exact components and have zero problems. Hope this helps, Josh.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ditch the claybusterwads, If this is something that just started you need to recheck your powder and shot drops, try to cut a larger cross section out of the hull so you can see what how the wad is seating. One possibilty is the plastic is a tad weaker/thinner on the newer hulls. WHAT did you change recently. STS/nitro/gunclub a lot less hassles.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jollytrapshooter- You adjusted the loader every way possible except the correct way. A little turn up on the crimp starter and the final crimp would have quickly solved your problem with the AA hulls.

Pat Ireland

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

to continue with Pats. I have found in the last year rehabing some mech loaders, A little adjustment goes a long way 2. the crimp stater and inside the crimp die can get nasty dirty. especially after 4 5 6......years.

9. david.fisher

david.fisher TS Member

Love shooting AA reloads, they work well for me. I've always had the buckling problem no matter the adjustments, powder charge, wad type, shot charge or reloader make except one. Have had buckling problems with MEC, RCBS Grand and Dillon 900. Have now loaded over 8000 AA's on my PW 800 Plus. Not a single buckle no matter what charge, wad type etc. I have used. The answer, of course is the full-length dies on this and similar machines. The 800 Plus is one great machine. David

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat is right. Start with proper adjustment of the crimp starter and go from there. A few tweaks to the crimp settings might also be required. If you call MEC, they will walk you through setting it up. They have some of the most patient techs there are. I'll bet they have answered this question a dozen times a day and never seem to get tired of answering it. Five minutes on the phone will get you pointed in the right direction.

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I see your load is right out of the Hodgdon Manualand one below the fastest. I use it with no problems in the old Win AA hulls for my 1200 f/s handicap and 2nd shot doubles load.

Try the following before calling MEC: Adjust the Crimp Starter to close the hull to about the size of a pencil eraser; Increase the wad pressure to about 35; Adjust the cam to have no hole in the crimp, a swirl once in a while is better than a hole; raise the punch so you don't have any buckling.

Jason

12. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

International Clays is a bulky powder, even more so than Universal Clays. Unless you feel you need that extra shot, you may think about 7/8 for singles and depending on your handicap yardage 1 oz for handicap. There is only a finite amount of space in those hulls and in my opinion think you may be trying to put too much in them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.