1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Recpie for Home Made BBQ Sauce

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have been experimenting with my new Mastercraft Smoker and have decided to give home made BBQ sauce a try this weekend. Does anyone have a good recipe for a vinegar based sauce? Sweet but tangy.

blade819

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First, I marinate the meat for 24 ~ 48 hours in mixture of orange soda and crushed pineapple.

Once done rinse the marinade off of the meat and cook.

Two quick and easy sauces.

1) - Use any Italian salad dressing - oil & vinegars, balsamic vinagrete, etc. - you might want to add some extra sugar to it for the 'sweet' side

2) - Mix equal amounts of Dijon mustard and honey, add some soy sauce (and curry if you like it) - this works better if you let the meat sit in it for a while before cooking....

Both like slow cooking over low heat - lots of repeat applications too.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Blade - I have made a lot of sauce and bought a lot. The best one I have ever found is Bulls-Eye Texas style Smoky Mesquite with a sting of hot peppers. Kraft makes it and it is in most groceries. Try it, you will like it, trust me on this one

4. 575cas

575cas Member

I smoke a lot of meat.Compete at a few cookoffs and have won and placed at some. SWEET BABYS RAYS has never let me down.Just my opinion Paul

5. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

PM David--he has a really good homemade bbq sauce! David's mom

6. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

1 bottle sweet baby ray's bbq sauce
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp garlic powder

Simmer it to your desired consistency and ease up on the red pepper if you don't like a little spice in your sauce.

This works great on chicken in the slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours also.

Tim

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Here's one a friend of mine gave me years ago. He used to compete (and win) barbecue cook offs, I have made it many times and it always gets good reviews from our guests.

1 cup catsup (I prefer Hunts...)
    3/4 cup apple cider
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    3 tbsp dry mustard powder
    1 tbsp Tabasco
    3 cloves fresh garlic chopped fine

Combine the above in a sauce pan and simmer on low heat for 30 min.

Add 4-5 tbsp dark brown sugar and simmer for another hour.

Makes enough for a couple of pork loins and is great on ribs. Stores well in the refer too. Enjoy!

Bob Schultz

8. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Sweet Baby Rays !!!!!!!

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Bob... I think I'll give yours a try tomorrow. Will let you know how it turned out. Also, will give Sweet Baby Rays a try next time. Thanks to all.

blade819

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Get some KC Masterpiece at Costco. It's different from that sold at grocery stores. Called KC Masterpierce "Reserve". Taste just like the store bought...but much richer.

We use it as our base. Add ketchup, granulated onion powder, granulated garlic powder, liquid smoke, brown sugar, cayannne pepper, KC Masterpiece, mustard (not too much), worchester sauce.

Again, the KC Masterpiece is the base.

Sweet but hot...for not so hot, use just a little cayanne.

Simmer for 30 minutes at very low simmer. Stir alot.

Good enough to drink!

If your cooking on the grill, mop and turn several times for Kansas City "WET" ribs. We burn each layer slightly each time we turn, then re-mop. Caramelizes the sauce. After several turnings, re-mop and let sit on side of grill (not over coals) with the fire down and the lid on. Last layer of sauce will permeate into the burned crusts on each side. If sauce is not burning, get coals closer to food. This technique can't be done on gas grill, charcoal only. The smell of sweet caramelized grilled food will bring neighbors from around the block. This technique is why many newer professional grills have a 3" height adjustment...for caramelizing.

Good luck,

milt

11. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Original recipe makes 8 servings Change Servings Makes servings US Metric Adjust Recipe (Help)

8 pounds pork spareribs

3 cups ketchup

1 cup barbeque sauce

1 cup brown sugar

2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste

3 tablespoons steak sauce, (e.g. Heinz 57)

2 cloves garlic, minced
    Check All Add to Shopping List .Directions
    1.Place the ribs in a large stock pot with enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 1 hour.
    2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    3.In medium saucepan, combine ketchup, barbeque sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, steak sauce and garlic; blend well. Cook the sauce over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. (Please note that the above ingredients are all to taste. Use more or less of anything you like. I never make the ribs the same way twice!)
    4.Cut the ribs between the bones and place in a baking pan. Pour sauce over ribs, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.

Please try this recipe even if you dont use it this weekend, i like to doctor it up with habanero sauce, when you smell it cooking it will blow your hair back! my guests have said "these might just be the best ribs ive ever had!"

I also use it on chicken and anything that needs a BBQ sauce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.