1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Recommnedation for Internet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Please give me a recommendation for an Internet Service Provider. AOL is unable to send e-mails and even paying the extra money for tech support is a 20 minute wait or 39 in the que. I need to transfer all addresses and other saved files operating on AOL. I HATE AOL. Thanks.. Fred

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Another "prisoner" of AOL.

I guess for $11.95/mo - or whatever they are charging - we can't expect much.

Don Verna

3. pdq

pdq Member

FIOS fiber optic.

Compared to Comcast and AT&T before that, no comparison.

Consumer Reports also rates FIOS #1.

Pete

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

AT&T Uverse. A FIOS service where you can get your TV service down the same line also. Not cheap, my Uverse bill is $130 a month for internet & tv.

Eric

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

See if Clearwire is in your area. This is internet coming from local towers not much unlike cell phone connections. URL above......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

My problem is not an internet issue, but an AOL issue Error: 66-DCVS... "reponse from the service is delayed"... more like not working at all. I can not send or reply to e-mail. My Time Warner broadband is working just fine. I need to switch service providers and need a recommendation. I need one that will transfer my address book and notify people of change of address.

Want to become a millionaire?? Design a directory service for the internet.

Fred

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I'm confused, if you are paying for Time Warner broadband, you have your choice of providers. Road Runner is most common in my area, even tough you can get AOL and Earthlink. As for moving your AOL addresses there are programs to do that. If you want a email notifier, Pop Tray is free and easy to set up. See above.

If you use Thunderbird for email, I believe you can set it up to get web based email.

I could never figure out why people would pay AOL and another provider for the net and mail. Maybe they just like all of those pop ups.

JMHO... Jerbear

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Zardozforty

"Lately the darned thing has started "locking/freezing up" and I get a message that says "Program not responding""

I get that all the time it isn't your service provider it is your computer. I don't know what OS you are using. I have Windows 7 on this one it freezes and locks up and gives me "program not responding" It does it every time I do an on line search.

It also does it when I am not on line with some programs. I just wish I could find the conflict. I sent it to a tech and he fixed it. It lasted about a month and after down loading a important update(so Microsoft says)it is back some fun huh????

Bob Lawless

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Cox cable if in your area is deadly fast and reliable.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have Surewest bundled for TV, local and long distance phone, and internet.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Zardo

I use SBC for DSL but kept AOL as all my email contacts are with AOL. So I get a "cheap" rate at $12 and I do not have to migrate my emails over.

I recently had a problem with someone hijacking my AOL and it was a pain getting any help.

Jerbear may have a solution but I am so computer challenged that I hate to screw with anything that is working.

They wanted to upgrade my laptop at work and I told them I was quite happy with my old POS as I did not want to spend a week dicking around with the change over problems that we always have when we "upgrade".

Hell, I remember when 56K was awesome speed.

Don Verna

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

IF you have dslextreme.com in your area ... I would highly recommend them!

Seldom have to wait when you have a problem ... techs are very knowledgeable ... will talk you through your problem ... and best of all ... speak English as a 1st language!

13. ivanhoe

Zardozforty

"I got HPs for years, but last time I thought I'd try a Compag with Vista, and I'm thinking that might be the problem."

Well I will say that that I have had Vista in a Dell PC and a Toshiba laptop all I ever heard was Vista is the worst OS they have ever had. I never had a thing go wrong with Vista that I couldn't fix.

I won't say the same about this Toshiba with Windows 7 when something goes wrong in this OS I don't even know where to look let alone fix.

Just preference but I had two HP's and had no luck with either of them

Surewest is that Cable??? I have Charter and as long as you can resist the the temptation of upgrading your bundle ever time they offer a better sounding bundle you got it made.

Bob Lawless

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't realize that Time Warner could also provide an e-mail service. I have Dish for TV and love it, so I am not changing that to bundle, even if it saves money. Fred

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Time-Warner family is anti-gun. That should be enough of a motivator to dump them by itself.

I have used Verizon since I was dragged kicking and screaming onto the Internet by Trap & Field in 1998 - they tired of fooling around with the floppy disk I mailed them each month. I started with their dial-up service (it was BellAtlantic back then), moved to DSL when it became available and upgraded to their FIOS last year. No problems and the few technical worries I've had over the past 12 years or so were handled promptly and professionally.

I have everything with them - two land lines, two cellular lines, two HDTV set-top boxes, two digital TV boxes and Internet service. I give them high marks on all four and having my technological eggs in one basket gives me some leverage when I want something changed "just because."

Ed

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

AOL SUCKS !!!

17. ivanhoe

AOL according to the list I have is rated as a National Company with Anti-Policies. Check for yourself.

Bob Lawless

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

In my area, Time-Warner is my only choice for rapid speed... no other cable provider. I think it is called a monopoly. So that leaves me with what? Telephone company wants to bundle and their quality of TV is marginal as it is through cable system [I want to keep my Dish]. I may have to check out a satellite system, but they are VERY expensive for just internet access. Yes, I know AOL sucks -- so give me a replacement for AOL!!! Fred

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Never ever use Net Zero. I thought is was ok for temporary use until I could get broadband hooked up. It was slow very slow but it's dial up. The problem came when I tried to cancel the service. OMG this foreigner tried to "give" me this protection for free since I was a good customer but it was only free for 3 months and then it started costing, I gave a very firm no.. Ok Ok he says then I thought I was getting thru to him but noooo he's giving me my email free of course only for a couple of months then there was a small charge. I tried to stay polite but firm no I don't want that either. Ok Ok hold on...........another long wait, ok we have it fixed up to close your account but in order to protect your data we are giving you a free, then I lost my temper. LOOK LISTEN I'm not paying for another GD thing, you understand? Nothing, just cancel my account right now! I understand it's your job to sell me a bunch of crap I don't want but this is it. I WILL NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME? Yes sir yes sir hold on while I axcess you record, what the hell have you BEEN doing? Another wait and then I though he was going to start again with something but he told me when my last payment was and thank you for doing business you'll receive no other charges.

IF that hadn't been such an ordeal I would have used them for dial up if I ever needed to again for some reason. Now? Not no but hell no.

Sliver

20. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Fred

you do not have to use your internet provider(current or future) for email..
    Gmail and Yahoo provide free email accounts (service). i use gmail and my friend uses yahoo and we are both pleased.

ernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.