1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need recommendation for firearm insurance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

As my collection grows I checked with my homeowners agent to find out that my guns are covered for $1000. That doesnt cover much these days. A rider policy was quoted @ $40. per thousand per year. Gotta be something better out there. Anyone have any recommednations.

2. 333t

333t Member

Contact a Safeco agent. Coverage may vary by state but my homeowners policy has no extra charge for firearms and they are not excluded.

Phil

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I've been satisfied with Sportsman's Insurance Agency, Inc. (SIAI)

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

This is all you will ever need to know about gun insurance. Ask for Hollis Boss.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Diana is also a very accomplished trap shooter.

6. Guy

Guy Member

I also have Safeco....it covers my guns to policy limits.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

American Family has good high limits, and an inexpensive rider to double the coverage.

That said, the company has gotten a little nastier (haven't they all) with the recent heavy losses in the South.

My homeowner policy has 5 thou for guns, and 18 bucks or so adds another 5K.

I have to check about the away from home thingy.

HM

8. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Fort Knox safe. That way know body knows what you got.

9. gold40

gold40 Member

I have been pleased with the gun insurance from NRA. Best aspect is that you don't have to provide an inventory list or serial numbers, EXCEPT for guns valued above $2,500 each.

Price is competitive.

I cancelled FIREMANS FUND INSURANCE over this issue of serial numbers.

gold40

10. feltonfitz

feltonfitz TS Member

Sorry for my late entrance to discussion. I work for and have my guns insured with Collectibles Insurance Services. They are cheaper than NRA program and only require list for guns wothr 5,000 or more. $25,000 only costs $165 a year. You can get a quote online - www. collectinsure.com and click "get estimate" button on left side.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If they are insured as any other item of personal property then they are insured in your car or away from your premises. Items off premise are covered up to a % that your home is insured for.

As far as your insurance co. having your serial #'s - What's the problem all it is going to do is make your claim easier and you have established that they already exist. If you are that paranoid then sleep with them.

Don

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I retired with 20+ years at American Family where I was a regional Mgr in the claims division for the western region. Yes they are covered away from home but you need to be very careful as to what kind of policy you have. If you have actual cash value, you dont have as much as you think as you will only get a depreciated value. If you have the Gold Star policy ( replacement cost) you will be ok and will most likely get more than you paid. I have been gone from there since 2000 and they may well have eliminated the cash value home owners policy?? I certainly would check however even if you are not with amfam. A cash value policy will leave you high and dry in case of a major loss.
    It always amazed me as to how many folks thought they had good coverage only to find out it was a cash value policy. This is a good day to check your policy

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

AAA They were never very competitive until a month ago when I went to change insurance to another company. All of a sudden they developed a "new" program and alas, my home and car costs went down and firearm and jewelry for wife got very competitive. For what it's worth. mike

14. 1oz

1oz Member

Siai , quoted me last month $1.25 per 100 for covering . I ship this gun around this covers the insurance if shipped and damaged .SIAI covers wood replacement if damaged beyond repair something to think about with them highend stocks .Siai was very liberal on the insuring amounts also . Homeowners would only cover so much their additional policies were $1.85 per 100. and wanted guns over $5,000.00 apraised. Only down fall is having to belong to ATA ,NSSA ,NSCA and etc to get insurance threw them .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.