1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Recommendation for a First Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I'm starting the search for a trap gun for my 15 year old daughter. She is 5' 10".

Budget is less than $750

Should I go with an auto like an 1100 so she does not start to flinch?

I assume I should start her on a 12 gauge since she is as tall as me, do you agree?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

David

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find a used 1100 trap gun for sale at a local club. One that she can shoot before you buy it for her. You can also load up some light 1 oz or 7/8 oz loads for her. HMB

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Never worry about the 12 ga. being too much. They can be down-loaded easily to the point of less recoil than the lighter, factory loads for 20 ga. guns AND the 12 ga. will last that much longer in a, hopefully, lifetime experience.......Bob Dodd

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

upnorth - you have a PM wally riebesell 660-744-4115

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Get her a bt 99. Great starter gun that she can shoot her whole life. Definitely in your budget.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If it was my daughter, I would have her try and shoot a 12 gauge semi auto like a Remington 1100/1187, Beretta 391, or Browning Gold Sporting Clays. This way she can find out first hand which feels most comfortable for her. They also fall within the budget if bought used. FWIW, jm

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rem. 1100/1187

8. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

David... The 1100 and 1187 are great starter guns for anyone. I started with one myself at the age of 13. I will also agree with others that a bt-99 would be the better one to start with though. I seen one on this website, and it may still be on here for 675$ and in good shape. They dont break down very often, and if they do, usually someone in any trapshooting club can fix them that day(with parts of course). If she sticks with it she will have a gun that she can give to her kids later on. And if she doesnt, than you have a real good chance of getting your money back and even more on a re-sale..............Good Luck

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I agree with the 1100 or any of the Berettas from a 303 to a 391.Soft shooting and can shoot doubles if she wants.If a purely singles gun BT99 is hard to beat.Great to have a new young shooter.We could use about 100,000,000 more.Also for an o/u a Miroku can be had for 5 or 6 and are fine guns.

Darr

10. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

David.....barrelbuldge has a nice bt-99 for 650$... It could be just what you are looking for...

11. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I was considering that gun, but I was hoping to get her a gun with a choke system so she could start with a modified (see more success) then move to a full choke down the road.

David

12. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I was considering that gun, but I was hoping to get her a gun with a choke system so she could start with a modified (see more success) then move to a full choke down the road.

David

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

David: I don't think you will find that changing chokes will make her shoot better. Proper fit and training from an individual who knows all the basic fundamentals of the proper techniques used in shooting clay targets will reap many more benefits than any type of choke will do. Ed

14. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Ed is right....Im sure you will find those who will debate choke size, and with some good points thrown in. The most important factors to a new shooter is proper fit, mechanics, and how to look at a target(Phil Kiner gives a good demonstration of that in his videos). The choke size can be your little secret......lol. Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

first trap gun recommendations