1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need recomendation for powder info?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Any books that cover the different types of powders for loading shotshells. ie Burn rates fps ect ect

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

You can go online to the mfg.s and they will have enough data to make your head spin. Red Dot, IMR Hercules Graf in St. L has several the list goes on.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

maclellan1911:

Powder company webpages list the powders in their product line including the best applications (rifle, pistol, shotshell, etc.) Burn rates generally aren't quantified but described. Most of the websites include detailed reloading recipes. Some examples follow.

Alliant Powder (Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, et. al.)

Hodgdon Powder includes info for Clays powders, IMR (700X, 800X, etc.) and Olin ball powders like Super Target

Accurate Arms

Ramshot

I believe as the U.S. importer/distributor, Graf's website provides data for Rex powders.

sissy

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

try here

Kip

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My question may be a bit un clear, but Kip has figured me out. Im not so much looking for load data. What Im looking for is some clearity. Just pertaining to target loads. The benifits or advantages of useing a fast or slow powder, when one aplication may be better than others. ie cold vs hot weather ect ect.

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I went through these thoughts about 12 years ago. I ultimately found that most of my concerns just don't matter much, unless you shoot light loads in cold weather. And even then, not so much, unless you shoot an auto that needs to cycle.

I do shoot very light loads, and I do shoot an auto. After all my fussing, I settled on changing to a 'hotter' primer in the winter. And, I like a bit more shot for the cold targets. I settled on American Select and Clays, and finally figured Clays was all I really needed. Neither are really fast powders. If you use something faster, then it might be a concern, but again, not much of one. I also learned that every barrel I shoot has it's own character, and does best with a different load. Again, nothing that critical.

My shooting buddies and I beat the "high pressure causes premature gun wear", and the cold temperatures causes inefficient powder burns" to death. Just not worth the strain. I'm much happier having developed a simple load that works well in the two guns I now shoot, and spending my energy on perfecting my personal mechanics.

I wish you well in your efforts, and I hope that you have a bunch of free time and energy because you'll need it. Afterall, it is the journey, not the destination that counts.

IMHE
    KIP

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Contact the individual manufacturer's and request MSDS & Spec. sheets for the types of powders you're interested in.

Curt

8. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

KiP
    The Info. provided is OUTSTANING.
    I also had question about powder burn rate....still do.
    The only power not listed in the web-site was the "REX" powder's, and where they fit in the line up.

Thanks

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ahhh yes The primer question was next.......

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, a quick Google search will lead you to at least eight powder burn rate charts. Not a single one of them agree.

Mac, here is my take on powder burn rates.

The fastest powder is Bullseye.

The next fastest group consists of 700X, Clays, Clay Dot and e3.

Next is Red Dot, and Titegroup, very slightly slower than the group above.

Next comes American Select, Solo 1000 and International Clays.

Next is Green Dot. The slowest powder I've used for Trap is PB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.