1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need recipe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use the gun club hulls, Rem. TGT12S wads, Red Dot or 700x powder. HMB

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

bigunn,

I don't want to harp on this too much, but you said nothing about a set of scales. Using a bushing chart for powder drops is terribly inaccurate and dangerous.

I would get onto Alliant, Hodgdon, etc for reloading data on the specific hulls that you have. From your listing You'll have a bit of trouble finding recipe's for the Federals and Winchester universal hulls. These use different data than Gold Metals and AA's.

Under no circumstances start substituting componets. Visit the thread about the 101 coming apart and keep this in mind while reloading your hulls.

ec90t

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lots of recipes on the "shooting 1oz loads" posted today.

4. shoot the hill

shoot the hill TS Member

I just started shooting 1 oz loads and don't plan on going back to anything heavy from the 16. I'm using 1oz of 8.5,Gun Clubs 17.4 of Titewad, TGT12S wad and STS primers. Nothing but dust!

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Since you got a some Fed 209 primers I would load them in the Federal hulls. I will assume that the Fed hulls you got have the paper base wad. These are the Fed. HI Power Plastic shells mentioned in Alliant's Reloaders' Guide. There is a 1 oz, 1290 f/s, load using Fed 209A primers, Fed 12S3 Wad and 21 grs of Red Dot. Start off by loading Rem 209P primers in the Rem Gun Club hulls. The Fed 209A primers often do not seat well in Remington hulls. Do not bother with the discount Winchesters.

By the way Fed 209 primers were replaced by Fed 209A primers a few years back. The Fed 209 primers are not as hot as the Fed 209A. So you can use the Fed 209 in a Fed 209A recipe but the performance may suffer if loading the slowest recipe.

Jason

6. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

21 grs of red dot? that seems like an awful hot load for 1 oz. or red dot for that matter. 21grs. is a typical drop for GREEN dot. make sure that you use a good reloading guide and follow recipes exactly. use scales and check your powder drops often.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

bigunn:

As previously noted, there are Federal 209 and Federal 209A primers.

The newer Fed 209A was introduced in late 1993 or early 1994. Revised loading data was issued as well. For example, Hercules Powder Co. (the corporate predecessor of Alliant Powder) distributed a supplement to their reloader's guide (revision date of Nov. 1993) It included four pages of data for the "new Federal 209A" primer.

Hercules was one of MANY industry sources that bluntly stated 'Fed. 209 and Fed 209A primers are NOT the same and are NOT interchangeable'.

There is a plethora of tested and published recipes for both versions. Always use published data.

Most of the older data is only available from older sources. Post a note if you have trouble finding old data. We can help.

sissy

8. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

biggun, I would reccomend getting a manual from the powder manufacturer that you are planning on using. there are several published reloading books that you can buy one that i have is
    'reloading for shotgunners" it had data from several different powders along with how to articles, loader set up,field loads,20 ga 12ga 410 and even slug loads. it is available from shotgun sports magazine for around 25.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.