1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need PUNKIN FLOCK INFO/PHOTO W/ HER LJUTIC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kim Z., Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

I am writing an article about early Ljutic Mono-Guns made in 1964 at the Reno, Nevada shop. Fact: Punkin Flock's husband donated her Ljutic Mono serial #16 to the ATA for their museum. According to an article in the April, 1965 issue of Trap & Field magazine, Punkin took delivery of Mono-Gun serial #18 in
    June of 1964. The file cards at the Ljutic shop are lost for the early guns until about serial #23. The earlier records probably perished in the October, 1964 fire that burned the Reno shop down. Serial #21 was the last Mono-Gun built in Reno. Production continued in the relocated shop in Yakima, Washington with serial #22. It is possible that Punkin had two Mono-Guns; #16 AND #18.
    I am trying to link #18 to Punkin. Fact: It has a narrow forend for a small hand and has an uncommon reverse Monte Carlo stock. It was recently consigned by a widow in Atlanta, Georgia. Punkin died in Atlanta in the late 1970's.
    Mrs. Ljutic knows Punkin had #16, but her recollection is that Punkin did not own #18. Because of the Trap & Field article and the above facts, I believe Punkin did indeed own #18 (I love you, Nadine!). I hope somebody who knew Punkin can help me get a definitive answer, and perhaps has a photo of Punkin with a Ljutic Mono with the features of #18.
    Photos of Ljutic Mono-Guns serial #8, #11, #18, #21, and #23 can be viewed on
    Facebook's "Ljutic" page, along with rare and unusual guns produced at the factory, and much, much more!

https://www.facebook.com/kim.z.turtenwald#!/pages/Ljutic/230917463697091?fref=ts

I look forward to any help. ~ Kim Z.

2. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

It would also be nice if some information regarding mono gun #22 could be found.

My gun, #23, has all the history recorded on one of the "cards" and I am able to trace four owners. I was told there was no "card" for #22 so it remains a mystery.

Are you out there #22?

doc

3. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

The reverse monte carlo stock is something that was very popular at that time. I had mono #366 it also had a reverse left handed stock when i bought it. In fact the stock is in the basement.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

How many early Ljutics had no "LJUTIC" engraved on them, just a ser.# ? Or if it was a common practice to omit the name, when did they start? Larry Evans

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

shotgunpeople_2008_030395.jpg

I wish I had gotten a better picture of the gun she is holding here. She is shown here before the THOF went into storage.

Perhaps Tami at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame could help you.

Dave in SC

6. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have 3 Ljutic's with people's name as either the serial number or is part of the serial number.

Larry my Banana Gun has "Evans Special" plus 3 numbers on it. Is that one of your old guns?

The Bi-Centennial combo in the safe just has a name on it for a serial number as does my Ljutic rifle.

It was pretty common practice at one time to put whatever the customer wanted on custom made guns for serial numbers. This still goes on today. Most Ducks Unlimited guns have "DU" in the serial number and so do many other organizations that order specially made firearms.

I have only ever seen one Ljutic that had no name or serial number on it, it was an older non-hooded Mono Gun or maybe an X-73. That was years ago.

Jim R

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Jim R, I knew I misplaced my "Evans Special". No, it's not one of mine. My Ljutic has just 3 numbers, 121. Nothing else. Larry

8. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

I remember seeing Punkins Ljutic listed on Gunbroker about six months ago. Watched it for a while and I believe it finally sold. Also about a year or so
    ago Col. Copsey`s Ljutic ser # 21 listed on this site. It had sold when I inquired. In my collection I have a nice 8x10 of the Colonel shouldering his Ljutic. If my memory is correct, I think he shot left handed.

Sportalluring

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Keep the history flowing folks. I love this stuff. It keeps me coming back to TS

10. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Sportalluring, How do I get hold of Jim Copsey or get a copy of that photo of his dad, Col. Hank Copsey, with his Mono-Gun, serial #21? It would have been nice if it came with the gun when it was sold!

Zardoz, I would like to talk to Dan Orlich or if you could ask him if Punkin had two early Ljutic Mono-Guns, which would be serial #16 and #21.

Cubancigar2000, If you are on Facebook, Go to the Ljutic site. It details historical information with accompaning photos of very early Ljutic Mono-Guns.
    I'm glad you are enjoying this thread!

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

Look on ebay under trapshooting. There are pictures of Punkin & Arnold Riegger & others.

13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jim Copsey is on the road, having left San Antonio today after the SW Grand. He lives in California, so give him time to get home.

14. chuckoa

chuckoa Member

Maybe this will help not a good picture of her LJUTIC but thats all I have
    Chuck Delaney

15. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

I remember shooting at a shoot at Markham Park (I think) with Carl, Punkin and the rest of their squad in the early 80s. Carl told me that Punkin's gun weighed 10 lbs. and she always shot a 3 dr. load. I also shot a Ljutic, but I don't remember Punkin's having a reverse monte carlo. Carl was always the squad leader and would announce "Move it squad" for each station change. He had cancer at the time and told me that smoking weed helped him to cope with the effects of his treatment.

16. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Karla - Has Jim moved? He lived in Albuquerque for many years and flew out of Denver. Jimmy Borum

17. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Chuck Delaney, Your photo was helpful in that I was able to see the forarm checkering (Pointed pattern) on the gun Punkin is holding. It does not match the checkering on Ljutic Mono serial #18. I'm still working to connect #18 to her. Surely, she had more than one gun. I really do appreciate you taking the time and interest to help me out!

Kim

18. chuckoa

chuckoa Member

The Ladies on that squad Nadine Ljutic,Punkin Flock Kathy Whitaker, Mary Sullivan Loral I Delaney,Champions of Champions sometime in the 60's
    I believe Mary was from Indiana ,Kathy was from Georgia
    Chuck
    chuckoa_2008_030310.jpg

19. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Got to meet Nadine - Punkin and Loral I Delaney when the Pinehurst GC held the Annie Oakley way back when.....

FRedmon

20. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I beleive that Jim Copsey lives just out side of Albqu.
    I had Serial # 65 bought it used from Gene Sears in about 1976 , sorry I got the itch for the Kolar combo and sold it in about 2001. I now have Ljutic #273 SS, Its shoots better than me.. Bob Roberts ,San Antonio,tx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

punkin flock

punkin flock trapshooter