1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Pistol Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I (and my wife) have always carried revolvers (have handgun carry permits) and kept revolvers in our nightstands for home defense. We always looked on revolvers as very reliable and keeping it simple. While my wife is most comfortable with the revolvers, I would like to get a semi-automatic pistol to possibly carry but at least use for recreational shooting and to keep loaded at the house. I am looking for a quality pistol that is RELIABLE. I would appreciate any recommendations. Also, are there any aftermarket modifications that are recommended? I am mainly interested in a 9mm because of the more affordable ammunition to practice with. However, the .357 Sig also interests me. I am willing to spend what it takes to get the most reliable pistol.

DoubleAuto

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Look at the SIG 226/228/229 line of pistols.

All can be had in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 SIG.

Basic variation is size - all have alloy frames and as of now a once piece SS slide (can be had blackened or native - early 226's had a two piece slide). Made in Exeter, NH.

For a revolver shooter they make great sense.

No "Safety" per se, but there is a de-cocking lever that serves as same. Double action/single action trigger makes them familiar for revolver shooters.

Grip size may be large for small hands, but they make a new line of polymer pistols that might fit the bill in that case.

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm has different backstraps for different size hands. You can also purchase a 22lr version for the price of a SIG or Glock conversion unit. I have one and never had a malfunction. JM

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Most of the women family members I've taught, have preferred the Glocks over the other auto's they've tried while teaching them firearm safety.

But a man, get to a well stocked gun store and start handling them. Find someone who has what you like and see if you can fire it at a range.

I like the feel of the HK's BUT when shooting one, OUCH!

The problem; the trigger guard shape under recoil dug into one finger and every succeeding shoot became worse.

Took it to a gun show and traded it for a Beretta 390 trap, Problem solved!!

Found a Glock 21 and haven't turned back since.

Good luck!

5. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

My experience is that handguns that are more pleasurable to shoot at the range are slightly too big for concealed carry. Likewise guns that are small enough to carry are not the most pleasurable to shoot at range. For a 9mm concealed carry gun I like S&W Shield and Kahr CM9. There are many good quality handguns that will fit your bill. Sig is also one of them.

For a gun more pleasurable to shoot at range, consider larger frame Sigs, Springfield Armory XDs, or Glock. Yes Glock, one of the most reasonably priced handguns that are quality, dependable, and just work!

Any of the one's listed above that fit your hand and point well for you will fill your needs.

6. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

My wife and I both like the Glock. They are very reliable and come in different sizes and calibers. If you get a chance, check them out.

Thad

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The Springfield XD line has been very good at the store sales as well as the rental case. We broke two Glocks but admittedly they had a ton of ammo through them for the last 4 years, and the XDs have only been in rental duty for a couple years. The S&W M&P series has been coming on strong as a good seller for the store, and we have not sent any back for warranty work. We have broken a few of the little Walther .22's that Smith sells. Most of them have a sight that falls off but we also broke one frame and one slide.

With daily rentals a person gets a feel for how dependable a pistol really is, because most of their use is in the hands of people who know very little, and generally do not care about how hard they use a rental. Even as expensive as ammo is, you would be surprised at how many rental customers do a "mag dump" (Using two the left hand to pump the trigger as fast as they can to simulate a machine gun sound)

Even though I am still a revolver, 1911, Beretta M9 kind of guy, I consider the XD's, the M&P's and the glocks really reliable. I would have no issues carrying one for duty.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Since you stressed the word reliable I would strongly reccomend a Glock M17 which is a 9mm. This pistol is on the upper end of what you would want to carry concealed but it is a great shooter with no BS. The price is reasonable too.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have a Baretta M9, Ruger P85, H&K P7, Sig Sauer M11, Walter PPS all in 9mm. Lately I have become somewhat partial to the Walther. Small, Compact and shoots the full size 9mm.

T

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I used to carry S&W J frames--I no carry a Springfield Arms XDS-45ACP---simply a great ccw pistol.

Phil Berkowitz

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Night stand or car gun I love my Sig 229. It is a double stack mag. The Sig 239 is a Single stack mag with a more narrow grip. The 357 Sig is one heck of a round if you get the law officer ammo.. white box ammo is just about like a 9mm. Not much to it.

In a polymer gun i love my springfield XDS It is a 45 but it is availble in a 9mm now... and i want one !!!

Hope you find what fits your needs

WesleyB

12. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the replies and good advice. Just to clarify the pistol will really be for me as my wife just plain does not like or trust semi-auto pistols. She will get range experience with the pistol but it will be her tenth choice if she needed to use a gun and there are also 9 revolvers loaded and available.

DoubleAuto

13. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Second for the Walther PPS.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Don't forget that FMJ bullets and ones fired from magnum cartridges can pass through your intended target, the interior wall behind it and perhaps come to rest in a family member in the next room or through a window and on into a neighbor's home.

Gun owners have enough negative press with which to deal. We don't need any we create ourselves.

Ed

15. twotimer

twotimer Member

Lot of good pistols named above, if money is no object, H & Ks are second to none. Mike

16. zzoom

zzoom Member

I carry a Glock 19, wife a Glock 26. Never a problem with either, we shoot them a lot.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For a home defense/range gun, I would suggest a Glock 22. I know this is a 40, but get a conversion 357 SIG barrel and you are in business.

The 40 is cheaper for practice, the 357 is what you wanted for home defense.

Lots of good things about the SIG round.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Glock 22 here. Glock's are the Timex of handguns. They just keep on firing. My Glock 22 has not missed a lick. Eats any ammo I feed it.

19. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I agree with Tom Baber Sig M11-A1 which is a 9mm version of the P229.
    The trigger is far superior to Glocks - Just my 2 Cents

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Comparing the SIG to the GLOCK is apples to oranges.

The SIG is a near $1K pistol, and has TWO trigger pulls to master. It is a hammer driven pistol. After firing, it is unsafe to reholster without decocking the pistol. It is not user serviceable.

The GLOCK is half the price, and has ONE trigger pull to master. It is a striker driven pistol. After firing, it is ready to immediately reholster without doing anything other than removing your finger from the trigger guard. It is extremely user serviceable. The GLOCK also has an extensive Field Armorer program, unequaled in the industry.

At one time, I trained with and carried a SIG. I went to the GLOCK because the world I live and train in is Planet GLOCK.