1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need photo of DOWNRANGE wad, please.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

I need a photo of the current wad that DOWNRANGE WADS is calling the VERSALITE WAD. Photo's on wad suppliers sites show at least 2 different. I think I have a small bag of 20 or so, but not sure.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Straight from DownRange's site

ss

[​IMG]

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

fishguts,

The Red Versalite wad that s. schuker showed above is the most common. It is one heck of a Handicap wad for long yardage. There is a rare "special" Versalite wad that Downrange makes also. The "special" Versalie wad is pretty rare and is made of top-quality plastic. Due to the top-quality plastic, there is a top-quality price. When I was selling Downrange, I didn't carry the "special" wad (mainly because of price). The Red Versalite was my #3 top selling wad!

Matt Woodson

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Thank You

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

What characteristics make a wad a "handicap wad"? Fred

6. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Fred,
    The petals on the Versalite wad are slightly thicker than some other 1-1/8oz wads and thereby requires the shot cup to be slightly deeper to hold the same volume of lead. The difference produces a tighter pattern. Let me know how you like the wads you picked up Saturday.

Thanks, Lyle

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have been a big supporter of the Versalite wad for some time now, and just recently changed my mind on this wad. I have gone back to the Windjammer wad for my 27yd. handicap loads. While both wads pattern very good, on paper, the Windjammer just seems to perform better. The targets seem to break harder, and the breaks are more consistant with the Windjammers. Nothing I can show you on paper, or on graphs, etc., but, just a "gut" feeling based on 30 years of shooting registered targets. I can recognize a good break from a marginal break just by watching my targets break and the Windjammer gives me what I want.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John... Yes, the Windjammer is an 8 petal wad. While I shoot Downrange wads for almost all my shooting, I only use ORIGINAL Windjammer wads, not a clone, for handicap.... Dan

9. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Trap2

Downrange has an 8 petal windjammer style. Have you done a comparison with the the original windjammer wads? If so, what is the difference?

Bob

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob... No, I have not done any comparisons between the original Windjammers and the Downrange 8 petal wads. I really don't see any need to. I have 2 very good reasons for that: #1- The original Windjammers work great, so if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it, and #2- The original Windjammers are cheaper than the Downrange wads are, and the freight to get them to me is less than I can get the Downrange wads for. That being said, I would "assume" that they would perform pretty well, but, we all know that a factory wad and an after market wad of the same type will not always give the same results, don't we? I have shot just about all the different wads available to us, over the years, and they are all pretty good wads and will get the job done. I have, however, also learned 2 other things that are very important to me regarding my choice of wads. #1- Nothing out performs a factory wad, and #2- I won't use Claybusters because of the excessive plastic build up they leave in my barrels..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Dan

Thanks. I agree that non-cloned OEM wads would be my first choice, all things being equal. However, sometimes all things are not equal. I have tried a few of the Downrange windjammers because the local club has them, but not the originals, and I have a tendency to support the local club when I can buy from them. Original windjammers, and Duster wads don't seem to be available around here. At least not at a reasonable price. Gander Mt. does have the duster wads, but at about $15 for a bag of 500 I will stick with the Downrange.

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

And I thought that all wads were made in a factory. Kevin at Downrange said he made his at the factory. I think that any injection mold that makes any plastic product by the millions will be found in a factory...jmho...merlyn

13. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

You want to try a really premium windjammer type wad??? Try the Gold Spolar wads made by Downrange. These have the 8 petals and reload like they were lubricated. If there is a better 8 petal wad, I haven't found it.

My vote for long handicap wads= Versalite!!!!

14. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Which Downrange wad would be a same type replacement for a Green Duster?

thanks

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.