1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need opinions!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I knoew that subject line would get your attention..
    OK...heres the deal. I acquired a really nice combo, but having trouble with the fit. The DAC is not enough for me. its 1 1/4". Had I known this I probably would not have bought it...but thats another story. When I mount the gun Im looking over the rib instead of down the rib. It has an adjustable comb thats all the way down. My options as I see them.
    1) Sell the gun. (really dont want to do this one)
    2) Have a custom stock made......probably not cost effective.
    3) Try and locate a stock with the correct DAC
    4) Raise the ribs with add ons.
    5) Have the current stock re-inletted to correct DAC (not sure if thats even possible.)

Interested in your thoughts...and if you have any suggestions as to who, where, and how much!!!!!!

Thx in advance.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

You havn't told us what kind of gun and if it's an after market comb job.

Have you patterned it and where does it shoot with all that space between the beads?

Ed Yanchok

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Get a strip of balsa wood about the width of your rib and make a temporary rib out of it. You can put it on with some black RTV silicone and it will stay put while you try it out. You can make it black with a felt tip pin or black liquid shoe polish. Give it a try. If you like it you can have a rib made to your specs. Just an idea and it won't cost much to try it.

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

EdY wrote"You havn't told us what kind of gun and if it's an after market comb job.

Have you patterned it and where does it shoot with all that space between the beads? "

Its a Beretta 680, aftermarket comb, I have not used a pattern board, but did shoot a few clays. Im guessing about 80/20. Thats ok with me, but as a new shooter I dont have a good way to reference the consistancy of my mount with that much room between the beads.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If it's an aftermarket comb (wood), why not start "whittling" on it. If you take off too much, raise it back up and over. In the meantime, scrounge around for a replacement comb.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Need opinions!!!

Sand the comb down until it fits you the way you want it. Then reseal/refinish with the product of your choice.

--- Chip King ---

7. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Hello, for me it may be easier to inlet the aftermarket hardware deeper into the comb, and then belt sand the extra wood off the bottom of the comb. That way there would be no reshaping of the comb and no fussy refinishing to do. The bottom of combs usually don't have much more than a nice sand and oil finish.

Hmrgun

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

mikkeeh... If you feel you can shoot the gun just fine as it is, and only need a reference point for your gun mount, the answer is simple. Remove the center bead and move it forward until you have a perfect figure 8 sight picture. Have a local gunsmith re-install the center bead in that spot. From then on, every time you mount your gun, you will have the figure 8 for reference and all else will be fine..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

if your gun is shooting 80/20 with a big gap in your figure of eight do as trap2 said take out the centre bead and dont put it back, and just look for the target. forget the beads just LOOK AT THE TARGET it takes a little work not to look back to see if them beads are right, but when you get used to just looking out there for the target youll soon smoking them!! best of luck and good shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.