1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need opinion on remington game loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chemist, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chemist

chemist Member

shooter at club has 7 flats of remington game loads in 7 1/2 - wants 45 a flat- are they worth it? 1290 fps- know they can't be used in competition but I don't shoot comp.

2. eddie lee

eddie lee TS Member

if they are 1 oz loads they can be used in ata
    and hit targets hard

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Yes they can be used in competition. However, after shooting 2 flats of these shells; I am glad it's over. They kick !! Now, used in a semi-auto they are OK. Shoot them in anything else and they will get your attention. Ed

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

They are ok, but they are a little dirty. I've used a bunch of them for quail and doves. They work well in my 1100 field gun. Again, a little dirty, but then, so am I.

5. chemist

chemist Member

Thanks for the reply- shot a box and passed on the rest- not needed for 16 yd recreational shooter- dirt no problem - shoulder was - appreciate the replies

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK for close shots, like the 16 yard line, Skeet and a lot of Sporting Clay presentations, but no good at all for handicap. Cheap shells use cheap components and in the gameloads, the lead is soft causing poor patterns at longer ranges.

Tron

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like them in my auto's. Little stout but smashes them at 16. I bought several flats on sale at dicks a while back 35.00 flat

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

They make great reloads as well.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Tron, you statement,the lead is soft causing poor patterns at longer ranges. Makes me wonder why that is. Also would it be better to have a heavier shot or harder shot given the same velocity. Would not the softer lead shot carry its velocity further out? I have yet to open and compare the gameloads to sts or even gun clubs. Not that I have any method of measureing shot hardness. I have been shooting these specificly at handicap yardage. I do not shoot handicap often, but when I do I have been useing the game loads.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

No, the softer shot will not carry out further because it deforms, especially the shot in the rear of the wad. Being that it deforms, the pattern become worse and worse with greater range.

Tron

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Never really thought about that. So did they start making harder shot to prevent deforming or for impact?

12. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

The softer shot is a lack of atimony in it which makes it cheaper to produce. Many years ago Remington came out with a black field load that was made in Mexico. The lead was so soft it was deformed in the manufacturing process. We open one up and spilled the shot out and it went everywhere
    it was so deformed. Complaints caused them to stop this shells production after a couple of years.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hard shot stays round and flies true.

Soft shot mashes and goes all over the place due to poor aerodynamics.

When we mined our lake there was less deformed shot recovered from in front of the newer fields where hard shot was the norm.

some shot in the rear of the load may become deformed through squeeze from pressure.

This is called setback deformation. I believe the best shot (Remington,Hornady, Winchester) does not do this.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.