1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need new reloading bench- PW w/ Hydro

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rochester, NY
    Finally upgrading from 4 9000gs (all 4 gauges) to a PW 800+ w/ hydraulic.

Consequently, I need to find myself a new reloading bench. I'm presently working off a bench grinder stand, which was perfect for my 9000g, but won't have nearly enough space for the PW w/ the hydro.

I don't really have the tools required to build much of a bench from scratch, nor do I want to invest alot of time or $ into it.

I'm thinking about one of those 2x4 bench kits like the one that Cabelas sells. Seems pretty straightforward.

Should I be worried about any torque that the hydraulic is going to impart into the bench? I don't want to build some flimsy piece of junk, but I also don't want to spend money unnecessarily on it either. The bench will be for the reloader, and thats about it.

Home Depot has the kit for 58 bucks here: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xil/R-100670800/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
  2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. all have bench kits available. Get one with a back with peg board, an upper shelf, and a door front lower unit. Make sure it has a wood top to cut down on the noise. Check work surface height to make sure that its not going to be too high or low.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I built a bench for my 800+ and I think I'm going to add a hull feeder and hydro to it this spring.

I have some pics of my reloading benches in the link below in the first post. They cost me about $35 each to build and are solid.

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

Mar 15, 2007
    depot has a big, black steel bench with drawers and a wood top on clearance for about 100-150 bucks. happened to notice it just after christmas. comes in a big white box with a picture and black and red lettering on it, if that helps. good luck with it
  5. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

Dec 7, 2008
    most of the bench kits at Home depot & those places I find to be a bit chincy.
    I designed & built my own for 1/3 tghe price & 5 times more stable.

But if you want to buy a ready made work bench, COSTCO has a very solid hardwood top work bench on a steel frame for $199. It is long - about 6'.

I have scene the same thing at Sam's Club also. Beats anything in the Home Depot line of work benches.

But I still say you can build a very sturdy bench - such as the one I designed - for well under $100. The frame is 2x4 but the top & shelf are 2x6,
    I angled the front legs from about 6" back from the front of the top to about 3" farther forward then the top. This makes it very stable for reloading. Heck, I can sit on the front edge & not move it. I think I spent abot $75 building it.
    I would be glad to take some pictures & lay out a material list right down a list of each cut piece.
    I usually end up building things myself. Not to save money but because I can build it stronger, last forever & cheeper (not to mention - I can build the size I need).

Email me if you want to talk.
  6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998

Here is an easy very solid bench that you can build with 2 sheets of plywood, some 4x4s and 2x4s. I used deck screws to build 2 of these.

You might want to leave off the casters and choose the height that suits your loading set up.
  7. Gary M

Gary M TS Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Skeet man,

Contact Whiz White (click links, reloading equipment, @ S&W Supply) for a steel plate pattern for 800+ with hydro. Pattern is "machinist ready" complete with thread size, hole size and positioning. It works great with the hydro unit, really locks everything down.

Gary M
  8. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Skeet Man - Here is another idea for a reloading bench. I looked at most of the suggestions in this string and decided to design and build a bench specifically for my 800+. I used 3/4 MDF to optimize storage capacity. I also wanted to put it on casters so I can clean behind it. It is quite heavy and stable. I bought industrial strength casters that lock in both wheel rotation and swivel. You can see that I designed it for seated use (also can stand) and I put a trim around the edge to contain spills. You might also notice the stands that I built for the tool heads, when not in use. Billy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.