1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need new furnace/heat pump

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Need to replace our furnace/central air system. Looking for the most reliable heat pump. Any experience? Tony

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

its not equipment, its who is the contractor, call the local distrubitor for the brand name in you area, York,Carrier,Trane,Lennox. Ask them for a recommondation of two or three contractors, they do not want any problems.
    Ask for a heat load caulcation on your home when considering a replacment system from that contractor.
    Jim

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Are you replacing a HP with a HP ? If you can consider Gas Furnace , check it out .

When you get the recommendations as suggested above , call the Better Business Bureau and check their files on the suggestions . If the BBB doesn't have any "complaints" on the contractor(s) , get the name of a couple of customers ------ even though the contractor won't give you a bad reference --- then talk to the customer about the "little things of the job" e.g. timeliness , clean up , number of technicians to be on the job m job duration , etc .

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

My two Carrier heat pumps have not been very reliable - Had trouble with my forst one, and now I am on my second one, and it too needs servicing at least twice per year, and some of the parts are somewhat expensive. When it works, it works great and can be very economical if you don't have to buy a lot of parts for it -- things like the electric board and the reversing valve are kind'a pricey - not to mention the costs of the service call and gas! the beav

5. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I agree with Need to shot more, it is more the contractor that installs it. This is what i do for a living, I like Trane, I think it is the best made equipment out there and tends to last a good while.

If you have any questions here is my cell 240 818-1218.

Thanks, Scott

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I assume your talking an air to air heat pump? Where do you live? Stick with a Nutone, Rheem, Trane, etc.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Put in a Geothermal and don't look back. They also have some pretty nice tax rebates now as well.

8. TC

TC TS Member

The Carrier guy said Carrier was the best. The Bryant guy said Bryant was the best. I think they are a little biased!

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

As said before it's the installers that make the differance, they need to purge the lines with Nitrogen or other inert gas while brazing and pull a good vacuum after they have leak checked.

You're going from R22 to R 410a, you don't have to change out the line set if there are no leaks in it although some contractors insist on it

From there they are all about the same quality of junk that they have been using since every Tom, Dick, And Harry thinks manufacturing hvac equipment cheaply is the only way to make money, they include no compressor protection, High pressure cutouts, low pressure cutouts, time delays, start gear, etc, all those things tend to make equipment run longer, because all equipment breaks down sooner or later, and without the compressor protection it beats it's head into the ground until it is fixed or dies.

Ive been a HVAC contractor for over 35 yrs, from dog houses to high rises, and it's all about the proper installation

But all the equipment I have personally is Carrier, as I am a dealer, and they give me the best warranty, heck I can get them to give me warranty on stuff I own that's 20 years old........................................ But I buy about $2 million worth of equipment from them per year

10. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

TC ,

Heed the advice that location will play a big role in your unit's ability to keep you satisfied .

When the weather is really cold and those strip heaters kick-in , you are buying the most expensive heat . But , if you are in an all-electric home , smile 'cause there not much else to do .

Maybe get some solar panels or follow the suggestion of going geo-thermal for your heat sinks . As said you may be able to get some good tax credits - - that's worth looking in to .

Charlie

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

The Carrier heat pump system in our house is 19 years old and has needed only 1 service call. We live in north central Washington and the utility bills are cheap. Of course we have some of the cheapest electricity in the country.

12. TC

TC TS Member

Was thinking I could go with propane back-up rather than electric.

13. woodski

woodski Member

I'm a Miant. Director for a fairly large school dist and an ex electrician and we go with the R410A Trane units as they are way more efficeint during winter time lower temps than the older R22 units and have good life/warranties.

14. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Heat pump with a gas furnace is a good way to go. I had an accountant figure it all up. Price of equip, price of fuel, interest, payback, etc & his conclusion was a heat pump & an 80% gas furnace.

15. willing

willing Member

I'll second the Water Furnace. We've had one for about 3 yrs now, works great. We've had some cold down to 20 and heat up to 100. We live in NC.

Bill

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

OK, for all you geothermal guys, average cost for system install??

Jim

17. willing

willing Member

I'll second the Water Furnace. We've had one for about 3 yrs now, works great. We've had some cold down to 20 and heat up to 100. We live in NC.

Bill

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

OK, for all you geothermal guys, average cost for system install??

Jim

19. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

How big is your house...? We just did a 7 ton Econar unit last year for a big house, and it is going nicely in Minnesota. Ground source... Our hot water for the month with 4 kids, laundry, etc... Usually runs about $3... My parents did a 5.5 ton, give LOTS of hot water to livestock all winter, and their hot water for the month is usually below a buck... They left oil in as back up... only kicks in once it's below 30 below and windy... Our propane backup has yet to kick in based on the outdoor temp...
    That and you can pretty much hang meat in the summer if you want it cold...

30% tax deduct on the ground source too I think... If you do it now... Energy isn't gonna stay cheap long...

Good luck,

LWL

20. TC

TC TS Member

Was looking for some input regarding the reliability of the units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.