1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need muzzle-loader help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by showdawg, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I bought a Remington Mod 700 54 Cal Muzzle loader, I got 4 boxes of .54 cal TC 360 grain Lubricated Bullets. Can someone help me with some powder & load info??????????

Thanks!

Showdawg

2. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I have a Lyman .54 cal. flintlock I use 90gr. of fff. Any more fouls the barrel and makes reloading a problem. You need to shoot it and see what works in that gun. Some times less is better.

3. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Is FFF the only choice? is there a cleaner powder I can use??

Showdawg

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Showdawg,

I would start with 100 Gr of Pyrodex or 777 and go from there. 777 is a lot more forgiving when it comes to clean up. You can leave the gun dirty for some time without a problem if you have too. Pyrodex is just as unforgiving as regular BP. Be careful with that 700. You really have to follow the cleaning instructions carefully and do it thoroughly or you will ruin the gun. The bolt needs to be completely stripped and cleaned as well as the trigger group being cleaned if using pyrodex or BP. The fouling gets so bad in my bolt that it starts gumming up after a long shooting session. I have a 50 cal and I shoot 110 gr FFg 777 powder with a 300 Gr hornady SST. This won't really help you much with your 54 though.

Jeff

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My TC Renegade really likes 100gr FFG Goex behind a round ball or Maxiball. anyless powder and it starts to string them up and down, and more powder and it starts to punish you. But...at 100 gr it will cloverleaf 3 shots at 100 yards (from a bench).

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have used just the lub ball or bullet and it was nothing but a pain in the ass. It would not do well at all at a 100 yards. I then went to the sabots and boy was I happy after that. I also use the pellets. I think it was 2 or 3 of them but no more. The pellets is the way to go. They are about 50 grains each.

7. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

so the lubed conical bullets wont group at 100 yds???

Showdawg

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Showdawg, there are a couple rules of thumb.
    1 like trapshooting some guns like different bullets.
    2. The faster you try to push, the projectile, the worse the grouping may be.

It will all depend on your hunting style,location, and distance of shots.

For me I have about an 80yd max shot here and 85 grains behind a round ball is just fine. How long your shots are will tell you what you need to accomplish in this sport.............

GS

9. kallen

kallen TS Member

There may be some powder out now better than 777 which works good for me. I found that 120 grains of 777 powder and 300 grain ballistic tip bullets with sabots are the most accurate way to go. There are a lot of sabots bullet combinations out there and some fit way to tight. fouling from previous shots will make it tough to push the bullet down the barrel. This problem is more prevalent at the range where you want to fire several shots before cleaning the barrel. Use bore butter after cleaning the barrel. my.02

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Personally, I woudn't go above 100 grs., but as in ALL rifles you have to shoot some different loads to find the sweet spot. 777, Pyrodex, and clear shot are good choices. I like the fffg replacement and find it somewhat better in acurracy, but your milage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.