1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need more help on wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadhead358, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Ok guys and gals I had a post awhile back asking if I could use rem tgt12 wads for 1oz loadsin 1 1/8oz loads. The answer varied. Everyone said to check the powder recipes with the powder manufacture. Ok I did that now comes the confusing part to me. On the new remington bag of wads I opened remington (tgt12s) it says for use in 1oz loads or 1 1/8oz loads. Same wad used in nitro loads of 1oz or 1 1/8oz. If I go to any recipe pages for the powders no matter who it is they do not have remington tgt12s wads listed for 1 1/8oz loads. They are figure 8, downrange, winchester, federal etc. no (tgt12s). Also on the bag it basically says figure 8 and tgt12s are the same wad. Does remington make the figure 8 and can I safely use this wad in the recipes where it calls to use a figure 8 wad.. Thanks Tom

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, Remington still makes the Figure 8 wad. It is the appropriate wad for 1 1/8 oz loads in Remington and WW hulls. Although the Target 12 bag says 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz, it does not say what hull and powder will allow that heavier loading. It is really a 1 oz wad, the difference being in the height of the cushion section. What is on the bag I would call "Sales" and what I can actually load with them is "Installation." Obviously there is a difference. Don't be fooled by the sales brochure; look to the recipe for guidance.

In metallic loading, the concern is whether a certain powder charge and a certain weight bullet will exceed pressure limits. With shotshells, safe working pressure is just one of the elements you need to be concerned with. Another is whether the stack up of components you've selected will all fit in the case and allow an adequate crimp. I've tried some safe, powder manufacturer listed recipes that I just could not get in the case. I suspect your desire to use the 1 oz wad in a 1 1/8 recipe falls in that category. Pressure will be ok, but you won't be able to stuff it all in and get a good crimp.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Figure 8 and Tgt 12 are not the same wad. Tgt 12 and Tgt 12s are the same wad, the s only means that the top of the petals are stitched together. Fig 8 allows more shot to be placed in the hull than a Tgt 12 wad. HMB

4. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

hmb,

The remington bag the wads came in says tgt12s for 1oz or 1 1/8oz loads and I have noticed some of the wad still showing when I load 1oz loads. Wanting to find out if I can use these wads for 1 1/8oz loads since it advertises that and what recipes can I use since no powder manufacturers recipes list them for 1 1/8oz loads. thanks Tom

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

You should send a letter or email to Remington and ask them for the appropriate loading data for the tgt12 1 1/8 oz loads since they are the ones advertising them.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Leadhead, Bob_K gave you the correct answer. The only way you can use the TGT12 wad for a 1 1/8 oz load is to use a low volume very dense powder. I use Green Dot and Red Dot and I have to use wads designed for 1 1/8 oz shot like Figure 8 or Winchester WT12.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try using them in a hull with a larger capacity than what you are using now. HMB

8. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

I do beleive you and load the tgt-12's in a federal or flat bottom hull with a 1 1/8 of shot or a 1oz load in a rem. or win AA hull....hope this helps....Tim

9. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

Use downrange wads...they are cheaper and load great. I have moved over to them and not looking back. I load Win. AA hulls with 16.8 grains of clay dot powder and a cheddite primer or win. with speeds right at 1200 fps. Thats a 1 oz. load of 8 shot....Tim

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon 1-1/8 ounce loads for Titegroup showing a Figure 8 wad can substitute a TGT-12S or the Downrange equivalent.

Titegroup is very dense and doesn't take up much space, so using a 1 ounce wad helps keep crimps from being too concave.

Use the downrange wad, its better, and less costly.

I use:

Remington hull

Win209 primer

Downrange TGT-12s wad

1-1/8 ounces of shot

17.9 grains of Titegroup (yes, this is over the Hodgdon tables, but I've had it tested on a pressure gun by Kevin Lewis at Downrange and it was right at 1200 fps and 9,800 psi average.)

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The TGT 12(S) wad has the same shot cup as the Fig 8. The TGT 12 has a little longer support posts.

Use the TGT 12 with dense powder like Hodgdon's TiteGroup and TiteWad. Unfortunately, Hodgdon tested their 1 1/8 oz loads with the Fig 8. My feeling is that the wads are close enough that any load other than the fastest SHOULD be safe. If you insist on pressure data before using a load. You need to have the loads tested yourself or wait for Hodgdon to test the TGT 12 wads with 1 1/8 oz of shot. An e-mail and/or calls may speed the process.

Jason

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have been trying to get a question through to Remington on there Online help center and can't get it to work . I have used it before and got answers from them , but now can't figure how to submit the question when logged in. I have been using the Tgt-12 in 1 and 1 1/8 for years. Jeff

13. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

Tom they are both "FIG-8" wads. In Remingtons case they utilize whichever one fits the particular powder that they happen to be loading at the time. Both shotcups are exactly identical only the cushion section is changed.

<a href="http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/gcbluerock/?action=view&current=newboys.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.