1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need more Cast on stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jun 3, 2013.

1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

To anyone out there that can help. I need to get more cast on my comb and I'm hoping to achieve this without shaving the comb. The comb is adjustable and I remember seeing on trapshooters comb posts that were made to get more cast. Any help would be appreciated.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Have Jim greenwood bend it if you want it to look good.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is a difference between cast and offset.

4. hera200

hera200 Member

Euro-Joe could you explain the difference since I am sure most don't know what it is?....THANKS.....BUD

5. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I need more offset on the comb.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fill in the holes on the discs in the comb and redrill them so the comb can move more to the right. HMB

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Cast and offset are the same, just achieved a different way, I would bend the stock, I have done it w/heatlamp and clamps w/damp cloth.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Cast and offset are not the same thing.

When you add cast you change the angle of the recoil force on your shoulder and lever the gun into your face.

Offset is preferred since the effect (lining your eye up with the rib) is achieved without the increase in face pain.

What KgS should do is mount and remount his gun and decide what it really is that's keeping him from getting over to the right far enough. It may the comb but it may be the stock itself. Maybe the lower part is the problem, not the upper. That can get checked by taking the comb off completely and seeing if the move to the right is enough then. If there is a problem with the lower part, the "fatness" of the stock, then moving the comb won't do what he hopes, since there will still be wood keeping him from aligning his eye.

Also, even if it's just the comb, moving it over may uncover the upper edge on the stock below it that will require some sort of correction to make comfortable.

A stock that doesn't fit is useless so the choice is getting the files & sandpaper out and making things right or just continuing to miss because we sometimes like pretty wood more than pretty scores.

Neil

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Files and sandpaper will work till the stock bolt hole is exposed. Only so much wood can be removed.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . And that can be a problem sooner than anyone likes, particularly if the stock has been drilled for a reducer or whatever.

Measure twice; file & sand once.

Neil

11. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Get together with Dennis DeVault, he will be able to help you.
    Pat

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

For those who are cranially endowed , it's real easy to produce firewood.

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Neil and EuroJoe are correct, offset and castoff are not the same.

On a castoff stock more cast is a achieved by angle inletting of the stock where it meets the receiver. If done very much this will result in face slap.

On a offset stock the entire comb is moved over, but is on the same line as the rib. For instance my personal stocks have 3/16 of an inch offset. My stocks are built by Phil Simms (Walnutmaker on this site) There is no face slap with offset.

Tom Strunk

14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Lets make sure we are on the same page.

You have an adjustable comb, is the comb moved as far over as it can go?

Or you are asking how do you adjust your adjustable comb?

Jason