1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Model 12 help.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Northsider, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northsider

Northsider TS Member

Just purchased a Model 12 Trap, 1972 Y model. How do I remove the barrel. I suppose it has something to do with the roll pin above the magazine.
    Thanks

2. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

where do you live ?/ What area or state ? Im in Chicago area Let me know I can show you

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

First make sure that the action is closed!

Push the roll pin up and rotate the magazine tube so that the pin is at the other side of the barrel.

Holding the pistol grip in your right hand, rotate the whole front end 90 degrees

Pull it apart.

to reassemble ... o it all in reverse order.

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

And when putting it back together make sure you keep a firm grip on the forearm and don't let the action bar scrape the side of the frame. You'll see many a Model 12 with a marred frame because it was not put back together properly.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"First make sure that the action is closed!

Push the roll pin up and rotate the magazine tube so that the pin is at the other side of the barrel.

Holding the pistol grip in your right hand, (((( slide the forearm forward to release the bar from the bolt)))) then,,,, rotate the whole front end 90 degrees

Pull it apart.

to reassemble ... o it all in reverse order."

Another small step Ahab.

Hap

6. Northsider

Northsider TS Member

Thanks you guys, I will give it a try.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think the original Winchester instruction manual called for you to pull the trigger first. Correct me if I'm wrong!!

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have taken a lot of mod 12s apart and always had to wrap my right hand around the receiver (in front of the trigger) to get a better grip and more leverage, especially if the gun is very tight. 1/4 turn counter clockwise and off with the barrel. Larry Evans

9. ouch

ouch Member

A co-worker inherited a model 12 field gun and would like to get a copy of an owners manual. Any good spots to download one. Thanks,Richard

10. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Try this web site: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=333748

Skip Dillin

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap gave good advice but I will add one small point. If you have not taken a few barrels off it may be a good idea to rotate the magazine tube and then pull the tube forward by hand and then slide the forend forward. This will insure that the threads in the magazine tube are fully disengaged. When putting the barrel back on, make sure the magazine tube is completely inserted into the receiver. I would recommend finding someone at your club to show you how to do this job. It is very simple once you know how but often reading instructions on how to do it can be confusing. The written instructions will tell you to push the magazine pin,they will not tell you to push the magazine pin until it catches and then push it some more.

Pat Ireland

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mick, I sent a PM with a little shortcut that isn't in any manual or diagram. Hap

13. ouch

ouch Member

Thank you dillin4, That is what he wants. Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.