1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need MEC 9000 Reloading Tips/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UtahYork, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I just picked up a new MEC 9000GN 12 gauge reloader. It has been years, I mean decades since I last reloaded. What is your one "gotta know" tip for me? Serious or funny - I'm OK. Should I get the Bottle Support? The Maintenance Kit? I'm just clearing out a space on the garage work bench. So, what's your tip for me? Thanks for the input. John

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Watch the primers drop, EVERY one!

3. lostandout

lostandout Member

cowboy is on the spot with that and dont get going so fast you forget to look up at your shot and powder

brian

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Get a set of scales so you can check your powder drops. Print out a set of mec loading sheets so you can get the proper bushing for the loads. Jackie B.

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I also agree with the primer feed statements, I have to give my primers a second to "settle down" before I lift the handle all the way up, if I dont it will jam 40% of the time. It only takes 1/4 of a second but it is required. The second tip I have is to be as consistent as possible everytime you pull the handle. My first loads were not very consistent, until I figured out what I was doing.

6. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

You will learn to listen for the tink when the primer drops, return the handle all the way to the top every cycle. Keep an eye on the charge bar movement every once in a while that it travels the full distance to the left. Apply dry graphite to the charge bar keeps it moving free.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, get the support kit. Yes, get the maintenance kit. When you get the maintenance kit, throw the collet grease away or find a use for it elsewhere. Use the Rock & Roll Super Web grease mentioned here:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=148737

Curley-Nohair on shotgunworld.com is the undesputed master of MEC machines.

8. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Johnny,

When not if you have an oops with shot lol. Pull the primer tube out of the collet and make sure no bb's are lying inside. After each hundred loaded dump your primer tray. After a few thousand rounds you will hear the click of the primer dropping the sound of the shot falling and the sound of you saying s*?t , I swear I heard the primer drop! Just take your time at first then find your groove. Feel free to send a pm with any questions. Over 100000 and still crankin'em out.

Ink'em

Brady

9. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

Mount your MEC on a cookie sheet, and keep a one gallon vacuum handy for your oh s$&@ moments! Have fun, Cory

10. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Just to reiterate the important things:

1. Pull the handle consistently down & up. Too fast equals bad powder drops
    2. Look at the primer drop each time, that's why I like Cheddites.....don't see red = stop and look
    3. One adjustment to make on the machine if it is used....loosen both bolts on the bottom of the black plate on the right side of the machine and pull the plate toward the front and tighten the bolts back down "tight". You won't hardly see any movement but it definitely help the advancing system (arm underneath that rotates the turret).
    4. Use the small bottle for powder (my experience 1/2 full = 100 loads no problem) & use tall bottle for shot...again 1/2 full = 100 rounds of 1 ounce. I only load 100 rounds at a time then box em' and move around a bit then sit back down and refill everything.
    5. Tetra gun grease is by far the best thing I've used on the collet...a little bit lasts awhile (I use a small craft paint brush every 400 rds).
    6. Measure what you are resizing your shells too to prevent the collet from stress with the steel base hulls (I haven't had an issue @ .805.
    7. Curlynohair on shotgun world has some excellent pictures on "how to's" for some of the settings
    8. Lastly - if you feel resistance or hear louder than normal popping.....STOP and look....& fix the issue

Good luck -
    Kurt

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

All of the above Post are right. Also buy your reloading supply's in bulk to save money.
    Buy the best shop vac you can buy. Home Depot has a good one.
    Not your wife vacuum. She will be mad if you do.

12. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Go online and watch one of the numerous videos of the hydraulic or electric 9000 in operation. Note the cadence or speed the machine is cycling at. That's what your handle pull should duplicate. You'll have a tendency to go faster but that's when things will go wrong. WATCH THE PRIMER DROP EVERY SINGLE TIME! A little Pledge on your primer tray now and then helps keep them moving smooothly. If you have to stop for some reason and take shells out of the turret, pay attention to the position of your charge bar. If it's to the right, it's full of shot and the next time you pull the handle it's going to dump it; can't tell you how much shot I've cleaned up learning that one. Keep MEC's phone number handy.

13. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

The 200 primer tray upgrade is great! Wax the surface inside and keep it clean from "primer dust". Mine almost NEVER fails to drop a primer!!!

Bottle support = YES YES YES!

Adjustable charge bar is my favorite option = no more bushings!!

14. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

These are all great tips. I now have a small electronic scale and the cookie sheet. A friend told me to get can of compressed air. I'll hit Home Depot or Sears for a small shop vac.

15. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I agree with the above too.

They're great loaders. You'll get the hang of it and after that they generally run pretty smoothly.

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

All the above. A small extendable magnet is a must. Primers will flip over ocassionally. The magnet makes it very handy to right the primer. I have used one for years.
    1oldtimer

17. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Magnet - yes! I was watching my friend reload yesterday and he used one a couple times. Pretty handy, got to get one. He had one of those extendable ones.

18. deadendout

deadendout TS Member

I am thinking about setting up the old mec 9000 again. I moved a few years ago and packed it all away. Now I am getting back into shooting and would like to make some light loads. How long is powder ok to use? I have a couple of big bottles of red dot and I dont want to waste it. Should be ok? By the way I like the cookie sheet Idea and saw some good ideas in the reloading bench thread that is floating around the forum. I was told never to use a shop vac because of the possibility of a static charge powder explosion.

19. billn

billn Member

Check your powder drops and shot drops, they might be a littel light if using new bushings from MEC < Each time you change to a new can of powder , check the drop at the start of a new can. The same on shot, if you use different types of shot, it can vary with the new bag or powder.

20. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Well now, the Shop Vac might only be used after all powder is correctly stored. Static doesn't sound too good.

I too have been looking at all the great pictures in the other thread. Some are so spotless and some look like a tornado hit! It's fun to look and hopefully mine will be somewhere inbetween.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to tell if a mec 9000 is good

mec reloader upgrades tips