1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Mdl 12 refinish, Quest is who?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have an old model 12 in 16 gauge that needs refinishing. I don't care that I will not get the $$ out of it when it's sold, I don't intend to ever sell it. This is purely for my pleasure. It has a polychoke on it and I intend to leave it...kind of a tribute to the era in which this gun was made. I'd like to reblue it, go through the action and add a rib. I might even restock it although I'd hate to lose that clasic corncob forend. So, who do you all recommend?

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

For the whole package, I would have Simmon's in Kansas do the job.

3. musky

musky TS Member

Stu Wright is the model 12 expert for all your needs.

4. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

I was at Stu Wright's shop last Monday with a 12ga side plate shotgun for them to restore and couldn't have been more impressed. The people there were friendly, knowledgeable and down to earth. I looked at some of their work and it was flawless. I can't wait to get mine back!

Thanks TS.com'ers for the recommendation! Model 12's are their specialty too.

Don Williams

5. hunter870

hunter870 Member

I had a model 12 gone over and reblued by Nuline a while back and was very happy with the work.

6. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I had Simmons go over a 1914 nickel steel 12 Ga and their work was outstanding.
    Added a rib, jeweled the bolt and carrier, went through the action and re-blued. It attracts lookers whenever I bring it out.
    Pat

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Stu is the Model 12 guru. Here is why. This taken from Stu's website.

"Wright's has been in the gunsmithing business since 1973, at that time primarily working on Winchester Model 12's. Some time before that Stu contacted the legendary Herb Orre and asked him if he would teach him the in's and outs of the Winchester. Herb agreed, and a special friendship was born. Stu and Sharon would travel to Ohio many weekends to see Herb and learn the intricacies of not only the Model 12 but the 42, 97, 101, 21 and many different models. After Herbs passing Stu purchased Herb's tooling and parts and it all started."

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

My cousin has his Dad's '97 riot gun that was bought in the late 50's from the Macon County (Illinois) Sheriff's police.

He wanted it restored & I told him to take it to Stu Wright.

50 years banging around in squad cars, and 30 years as a field gun, the thing was a basket case mechanically & cosmetically.

It came back incredible. Nobody better on Winchester pumps than Stu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.