1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need low recoil load for wife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzoom, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzoom

zzoom Member

I need a recipe For low recoil load for my wife. Started shooting last year with AA lite target loads. By end of year was shooting 1oz loads without any problem, this spring she has developed a flinch, want to load softest load possible to shoot for awhile. I load sts hulls with tgt wads, rem209 primers and clays powder for my load on mec 650. Have ordered 7/8 charge bar. Looking at Hodgdon reload data, not sure how many grs powder to best achieve soft recoil. Willing to buy different components if necessary. She shoots a Browning BT99 micro. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Gun does have gracoil pad we have adjusted with out improvement.

2. oz

oz Active Member

If you start geting unburned powder bump it up a little (1/2 grain) and use i/c choke for 16 yd . oz

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Is it a recoil flinch or a FTF flinch?

Don Verna

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Look at some of the Hodgdon load data for Winchester Feather Lite Powder.

You can reproduce the Winchester low-noise, low-recoil factory shells with that powder.

26 grams (15/16 ounce) of shot at 980 fps.

And yes, this load works just fine for 16 yard targets. Crushes them.

And it feels like you're shooting a 410.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use 15.5 grains of Extra lite in my 7/8 oz loads with Remington hulls.
    In my 1 oz loads I use 17.5 of Clays.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My Mec 650 with #27 bushing drops around 16.4 grains of 700 X. That and a grey 7/8 ounce wad from winchester pushing 8 1/2 shot works really well with little recoil and actually cycles my 1100's as well.
    After using all types of powders since 1965 I seem to go back to 700 X even though they all seem to work well.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try this load for her, 18 Grains Green Dot 1 1/8th oz Shot 1090-1100 fps and she will crunch targets, I shot this load for 20+ years and broke a 100 from 24 yards with it.

I gave this load back in the 70s to husbands for their wives and they loved it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Depending on how much she shoots with the rebates on I buy the STS reduced recoil 7/8 load for my wife and then have good hulls to reload it's a great load and pretty reasonable with the rebate.Jerry

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

zzoom, If you want a real light, light load most of the fast burning powders like Clays, Claydot, 700X, Red Dot and the like will require a very fast 7/8 oz. load speed to get a good complete powder burn. If you buy some Winchester AA Lite powder you can load these 7/8 oz. loads down to 980 fps in a 26 gram load or up to a standard l l/8 oz. load at 1150 fps. Or anything inbetween as well. You will find a good load that will have a good complete powder burn. That's why Dicks load above has a federal primer (Hottest one out there) to light his load. As chamber pressures lighten the powder tends to burn more incomplete. Depending on components this starts between 7,000 psi to 8,000 psi. Below 7,000 psi you will see varing degress of unburned powder in the barrels. Good Luck with your wifes problem and Break-em all. Jeff

10. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I shoot for fun and this is the only load I shoot from 16 yds. Rem STS hull 16.4 gr. Clays powder Federal 12SO wad and Win. 209 primer with 3/4 oz. #8 1/2 shot. There are almost as many pellets as a 1 oz. load of 7 1/2 shot. It's very soft and very effective from 16yds. Mike.

11. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Why not get her a gun with no recoil, like a Berretta 391 and then make sure it fits proper?

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

How big around is the bolt hole in that BT99 micro stock? I can look into pouring some lead into a copper pipe for her. That'll help in addition to the light loads. And how deep is the hole? I just did this for myself and have some lead left. Send me a personal message if interested.

13. bubba68

bubba68 Member

The micro may be too light and not absorbing the recoil. Also, the gun may not fit properly. If you are already shooting 1 oz. loads and she is flinching, my guess is improper gun fit. Have a professional look at it.

14. zzoom

zzoom Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Lots of great ideas, will start working thru them and see what works best for her.

15. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I've gone to 3/4 oz of 8 1/2's in AA hulls for my wife/kids (16 yards). I use Clays in the AA hulls with the Federal SO wad. (See Hodgdon site for published loads).

I tried the Win gray wads (unpublished load) and they caused some bloopers. so maybe that's why Hodgdon doesn't list that one...

I shoot them in my full choke BT-99 and it smokes 'em about as well as th 1 1/8 loads with zero recoil. Haven't patterend them yet but suspect they are really tight based on breaks and misses.

Have had some difficulties with AA hulls I should have thrown away about 20 reloads ago. Don't have a chrono, but I suspect high variability in velocity. So I use good looking hulls for the light loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reproduce winchester low noise low recoil loads