1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need loading data w/ 20/28 powdeer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I bought a small l lb can of 20/28 to try in the 28 gauge last week, but Ben at Alliant can only tell me to "TRY" 13 grains of powder in both, the Win. Old Style Non-HS hulls and the STS hulls as well. I've never loaded the same grains of powder in Win and Rem hulls of the same gauge ever. There's always 3/10 to 6/10 of a grain difference. With pressures pretty high in this gauge can anyone find me a load with Win. primers and Claybuster 1034 wads Non-HS Win. type with 3/4 oz. of shot at 1200 fps??? I feel Ben at Alliant has let me down not giving me the exact powder drops with the pressures as I asked for. I don't want to load the 28's without knowing the pressures as I will be shooting them in a tube-set. I found the proper load in the 20 gauge with no problem but need some advice for the 28 gauge. Maybe I should stay with Universal, but wanted to go American these days if I can. break em all Jeff

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Looking at the recipes on the Alliant website, 13 grains is on the low end of all the recipes listed. I think you got good advice. Load some up and try them. Mark

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mark, If I stay with the Win. hulls OK, but look at the loads with the Rem hulls with the Rem primer??? drops around 12.8, and 12.8 and 12.4!!! The Win. primer is hotter and one normally drops 5/10 of a grain in powder to adjust for the primer switch, so maybe around 12 grains for the STS hull??? I E-mailed Alliant twice and the best he says is try 13 grains. This does not make me happy as I wanted to buy a 8 pound jug. Hodgdon's tech's never told me to try any load I asked them!!! I guess I just need to vent. I'll only load the Win. then go back to Hodgdon where one can get loads with all components. break em all Jeff

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The problem is there is no timeline overlap b/w 20/28 and AACF hulls. No sense in them working up a whole bunch of recipes for what is basically now an obsolete hull, and will be used very little after the next few years pass and everyone burns up whatever they're sitting on.

The reason you're not finding a load for the CB AACF replacement wad in a STS case is that it isn't the best choice for the STS hull. The AAHS Claybuster is a better choice, and they do list a recipe for that, albeit w/ the STS primer. If you want to use the Win primer, you'll need to use PT-28 wads.

Unfortunately, 20/28 is too new for the Lyman 5th edition, and I haven't heard anything about they issuing a 6th edition, and I'm guessing they probably won't for a few years.

I never had ANY luck w/ 20/28 in my very limited use of it (I had a friend pour me off an lb when he bought a keg). Out of 100 28s, probably 20-30 of them were off sounding, and I'm a meticulous reloader (I can count the number of bad shells that I've shot that were my fault on one hand in a decade), so the problem wasn't light powder drops or anything that was happening on my end. My buddy had a similar issue loading it in the 20, which leads me to believe 20/28 is a lot more temperamental of a powder than anything else I've ever used. I still honestly don't see what problem 20/28 solved, or any load it created that couldn't be replicated by Unique/Blue Dot or Universal/Longshot/HS6.

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have used several 8 pound containers of 20/28 and have had no problems. It has lower pressures which is good for tube sets. Very easy on your hulls. Ron

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Have you called Briley?

They have a dataset of loads that have cracked their tubes, I believe.

I agree with you abt Ben's non-answer, btw.

Bob

7. notarget

notarget TS Member

I have loaded over 15,000 shells with 2028 using Alliant's published data and was pleased with the results.It was developed because Unique was a bit bulky for the AAHS hull. It seems to perform the same as Unique while taking less space in the hull. There probably was no need to develop data for the old style AA hull because it is obsolete. It works well in Federal hulls. I don't use Remington and can't comment on them.

8. jkortte

jkortte Member

I was beginning to think alliant was out of business? I called them and left a detailed message, sent them 2 emails and never got a email or call. I also was looking for some 28 load data. Must not be a big seller for them and they don't care?

9. skipsor

skipsor Member

I use 20/28 in 16 gauge 7/8 oz. loads and it works very well. No off sounding loads and it breaks 16 yd. targets very well. It also drops doves very nicely too.

This is after several hundred loads fired.

There is no published data for this powder in 16 ga. so I sent some samples to Tom Armbrust to verify the safety of my loads.

If you are getting strange sounding loads you might want to recheck your powder drops.

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

skipsor, Could you post the complete recipe for the 16 ga loads and what they tested out at? Thanks.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

13 grs 20/28 w 3/4 oz shot both cases 28 ga shells From newest Alliant Manual
    GB
    DLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 28 loading data