1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need loading data for old Remington Premier hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve Fischer, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

I recently acquired a very large quantity of the old Remington premier hulls and need some loading data using Clays powder for a 1 oz. load. None of my manuals go back that far!
    Thanks for help.

Steve

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve..... You can use the same data that is available for the STS or Nitro hull. I have loaded thousands of those old "Green Weenies", and am still loading some today. You just can't wear them out. Best factory trap shell ever produced, in my opinion, exceeding even the older Winchester black "AA Handicap" shells that we used to shoot..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Good news/Bad news - Those Premiers had a thick rim just under the crimp. With that rim they last forever. That's the good news.

The bad news is that rim made it a PITA to insert some wads. You'll get a snap and spilled shot. Remington's Figure 8s and TGTs are the worse. Some others at well. I've found the Green Dusters (1 ounces) and WTA12s (1 1/8 ounce) go in like Flynn. Others may as well.

Load data is like STS.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Here ya go Steve. Remington Premier 12 GA. 2-3/4". Looks like the the data is the same as the new hulls on one, and within a couple of tenths of grains on the others. This loading manual is from when Clays first came out. Not much data then.

Wayne

[​IMG]

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The old RXP and the Premier Hulls can usually be loaded using the data intended for the STS, Gun Club, etc. I have sectioned some of these hulls and the internal dimention are about identical. I was told by two different powder manufacturers that the data should be just fine to use for the older hulls. I would just add a line of caution, that you should stay away from the very highest pressure loads. I don't load much over 10,000 PSI or 9500 LUPs. I keep my pressures around 9000 or so for the older hulls. Old plastic, metal, and time might have caused a little weakness. I've loaded many thousands of the older hulls recently without any trouble. I think they outlast the newer hulls by a slight margin.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If you use a manual pull reloader expect a lot more handle effort for the Premiers. I loaded up 200 of them yesterday. There was about a half dozen STS mixed in. It was easy to tell when the STS went through the crimping station.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

wayneo

The data you posted has two Federal primers listed. The Federal 209 and the Federal 209A. They are not interchangeable. If someone uses that data for a reference, be sure to notice the difference. The newer Federal Primers are the 209A. There can be a big difference in pressures, so be careful.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Those hulls seem to last forever.

Only downside is trying to load them when it is cold ... lots of effort on the handle!

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have a good supply of the older RXP and the Premier hulls. They are tougher than the newer hulls and seem to last longer. Loading data for the STS, Gun Club, Sport hulls all seem to work. I've compared a lot of the data and it appears that most of it is still valid. Some components are no longer available or have found less popularity, but the hulls appear to be almost identical in dimensions to the STS type hulls.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Quack shot, you are right. Notice on the 7/8 load with clays, pressure is 700 psi higher using the Fed 209A with the same amount of powder. They also list a Win AATP. That Win Target Primer was also hotter than a Win 209.

Wayne

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When the Premiers first came out I ran a test, markein each hull in the box every time it was loaded.

After 16 loads, I had lost one shell out of 25, and the crimps were nice and flat yet. I finally gave up the test because there was no more room on the brass to put a mark on.

HM

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Great hull, the best hulls I've ever reloaded. I like the STS's and Nitros but the old Premiers will reload alot longer. Wish I could stumble into 1,000 or so of once fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.