1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need Load data for old Federal Champion hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hokie Bird, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hokie Bird

Hokie Bird Member

I have a large quantity of Federal Champion (not Champion II) hulls tht I would like to load but I have not been able to find any data. In the attached picture you see a Federal Gold Medal hull on the left and the Champion hull on the right. The Champion's base wad sits quite a bit higher that the Gold Medal. I've tried 12SO wads along with DRXL-1, and DRXL1 1/8 but they all sit too high when loaded. Does anyone have any load data for these shells? Would prefer 1 1/8 oz loads but will take 1 oz loads also. thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    I think you may need the two piece wad that was used for reloading Fed. papers. Then, any 1200fps recipe would work, or lighter.
    -powderburn Where to getthese wads? Who knows. These weren't a very good hull as I remember. Might be better off to file 13 them and get something else.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Have you tried Fed 12S3?

Precision Reloading has Fed 12C1 wads, which are quite a bit shorter than the 12C0, and you might also use Gualandi 1712.

I KNOW you can get +1-1/8oz with the G1712.

Bob

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It looks like the Champion Hulls were obsolete in the mid-70s. I have some old Winchester Data for these hulls using the old 540/HS-7 (DISCONTINUED) powder in 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 oz loads. They were listed in the Winchester Loading Manuals from 1973 and 1975 and were field and heavy waterfowl loads. I'm sure I could find more data in some old manuals if I looked around a bit, but it would probably list wads that are no longer available. The Federal Champion, Champion II, FliteMax #4, Pushin Cushion, Rem 29924, Rem 29926, Win WAA12R, and Blue Verelite (not Versalite) wads were some of the ones listed. Maybe a couple of these wads are still available. The primers were the Winchester W209, so at least those might be available today. If you section a hull and compare it with similar hulls like the Cheddite or Fiocchi, you may be able to determine something useful in the way of data. Personally, I'd deep six them, since my gun and safety are worth more than a bunch of empty hulls from yesteryear. They looked like they were in good condition, but the hulls may have deteriorated a bit. That old plastic wasn't the greatest. Maybe Kevin Lewis at Downrange might have some insight, since a long collapsable wad like their XXL series might work. It looks like the basewad is rather high in this hull, so it may take something like that to load them to target velocities with lighter payloads. You'd need a shorter wad than usually needed with similar loads today, or a wad that can collapse a little more than usual.

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

I once was told these hulls were produced to take the place of Federal papers, they even stamped the load on them the same way as the paper shells. If they were mine and I felt I HAD to load them I would use a light Federal paper load.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
drxl1 wad load data for federal hulls
federal champion 11 reloading data

federal champion ii load data

old federal plastic roller paper base hulls
reloading federal paper hulls
reloads for federal champion paper hulls
whats the difference between federal champion paper hulls and champion 2