1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need letter for PA gun bill

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HSLDS, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here's what I wrote to my Congresman (who is one of the bill's sponsors)

Dear Congressman Curry,

I live in Flourtown, PA and my introduction to you came when I first moved into Springfield Township. Your office contacted me offering to help in switching my vehicle registration, my driver’s license, and even my concealed carry permit. Your staff was most helpful which prompted me to contact you directly to thank you for their and your efforts on my behalf.

I am writing to you now to express my great concern over proposed House Bill 760. My personal belief is that it is a clear violation of the State’s Constitutional position on firearms ownership. I further believe it would place a large financial burden (as well as a time burden trying to comply with the proposed aspects of the legislation) on many of your law-abiding constituents.

Might I suggest that you check the number of constituents within the 154th district who actually hold concealed carry permits? I would suggest that a three or four fold number of your constituents own firearms as compared to those who hold concealed carry permits. Are you willing to risk their support in the next election?

I strongly urge you to withdraw your support for this ill advised attempt to remove firearms not from criminals, but from the law abiding citizens who have elected you to represent us.

Is it worth ending a political career for an idea that even if passed will most likely fall to defeat on a constitutional challenge?

Most respectfully,

This is what I wrote to my Senator

Dear Senator Hughes,

I am writing to you to ask that you vote against House Bill 760.

I have enclosed a copy of my letter to Congressman Curry (my representative for district 154) expressing my concerns relative to this proposed legislation.

I understand that the marked increase in murders in Philadelphia this year should prompt us all to action, but the salient point is that of these murders, the majority of the ones committed by firearm are done so with illegally obtained ones. This legislation will have essentially no impact on these firearms – only on the law-abiding constituents of your district.

Thank you for your time, and I again urge you to help defeat this ill-advised legislation.

Hope it helps,

David D

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Take a look at the video above.

I'm working on your letter...

3. recurvyarcher

OK,

David's letters are good. Let's add to it the following arguments:

Firearms registration data cannot be used for any purpose of significance because of the absence of the higher population of firearms available to criminals (or of those owned by the remaining population of gun owners in America).

Criminals get their guns on the black market or steal guns are not going to register. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Haynes v. U.S. (309 U.S. 85 (1968)) that since felons are prohibited from owning firearms, compelling them to register them would violate their 5th Amendment rights against self-incrimination. However, if a law-abiding gun owner fails to register it, he or she will be jailed and lose his or her rights FOREVER. Why should people who have lawfully purchased firearms be required to register?

If lawful citizens will be required to register their guns, what will the Government of the State of Pennsylvania do to protect the data base from being stolen and/or viewed by criminals? There is wealth among the criminal element, and money available to fund the best hackers. Will the government of Pennsylvania have the continued funding necessary to pay the top internet security personnel to protect our information from being hacked?

4. recurvyarcher

How about this combination of the above:

Dear (insert name here),

I live in (insert your place of residence here). I am writing to you to express my great concern over proposed House Bill 760.

I believe it would place a large financial burden (as well as a time burden trying to comply with the proposed aspects of the legislation) on many of your law-abiding constituents.

Firearms registration data cannot be used for any purpose of statistical significance because of the absence of the higher population of firearms available to criminals (or of those owned by the remaining population of gun owners in America).

Criminals get their guns on the black market or steal guns are not going to register. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Haynes v. U.S. (309 U.S. 85 (1968)) that since felons are prohibited from owning firearms, compelling them to register them would violate their 5th Amendment rights against self-incrimination. However, if a law-abiding gun owner fails to register it, he or she will be jailed and lose his or her rights FOREVER.

I understand that the marked increase in murders in Philadelphia this year should prompt us all to action, but the salient point is that of these murders, the majority of the ones committed by firearm are done so with illegally obtained ones. This legislation will have essentially no impact on these firearms – only on the law-abiding constituents of your district. Why should people who have lawfully purchased firearms be required to register?

If lawful citizens will be required to register their guns, what will the Government of the State of Pennsylvania do to protect the data base from being stolen and/or viewed by criminals? There is wealth among the criminal element, and money available to fund the best hackers.

Might I suggest that you check the number of constituents who actually hold concealed carry permits? I would suggest that a three or four fold number of your constituents own firearms as compared to those who hold concealed carry permits. Are you willing to risk their support in the next election?

I strongly urge you to withdraw your support for this ill advised attempt to remove firearms - not from criminals, but from the law abiding citizens who have elected you to represent us.

Is it worth ending a political career for an idea that even if passed will most likely fall to defeat on a constitutional challenge?

Most respectfully,

5. recurvyarcher

Contact your representatives above. Don't sit back and do nothing.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

The above web site offers help and information on writing to members of congress, among which is "don't write a book"...

<blockquote>"If you're writing to express your opinion on an issue, it's helpful to keep your letter short and to the point. It is best to limit yourself to writing about one issue at a time. Letters that cover four or five issues tend to wander and can be hard to read, and are less likely to catch the attention of your Congressman or his staff. And because your Congressman receives hundreds of letters a day -- sometimes thousands of letters a day -- a short letter is much likelier to be read than a long letter."</blockquote>

Mike

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here's my last two cents worth - I've toned it down, put it specifically on point - hope it helps

David D

Dear (insert name here),
    I live in (insert your place of residence here). I am writing to you to express my great concern over proposed House Bill 760.
    I believe this proposed legislation would place a large financial burden (as well as a time burden trying to comply with the proposed aspects of the legislation) on many of your law-abiding constituents. Further, it is my personal belief that this would be a clear violation of the State’s Constitutional position on firearms ownership.
    And to what end? Criminals obtain firearms on the black market or through theft and therefore they will never register their firearms. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Haynes v. U.S. (309 U.S. 85 (1968)) that in as much as felons are prohibited from owning firearms, compelling them to register them would violate their 5th Amendment rights against self-incrimination. However, if a law-abiding gun owner were to fail to register a firearm under this new and onerous legislation, he or she would be jailed and lose his or her right to bear arms FOREVER. The only result of this legislation would be to turn law abiding voters into potential criminals.
    I understand that the marked increase in murders in Philadelphia this year should prompt us all to action, but the salient point is that of these murders, the majority of the ones committed by firearm are done so with illegally obtained ones. This legislation will have essentially no impact on these firearms, only on the law-abiding constituents of your district. Why should people who have lawfully purchased firearms be required to register them into a data base which might become public?
    If lawful citizens were required to register their firearms, what would the Government of the State of Pennsylvania do to protect the data base from being stolen and/or viewed by criminals looking for a source of firearms?
    Might I further suggest that you check the number of constituents who actually hold concealed carry permits? I should think that a three or four fold number of your constituents own firearms as compared to those who hold concealed carry permits. Are you willing to risk their support in the next election?
    I strongly urge you to withdraw your support for this ill-advised attempt to remove firearms not from criminals, but from the law abiding citizens who have elected you to represent us.
    Most respectfully,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content