1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need lawyer to collect debt in indianapolis HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by motordoctor, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have a small debt and the guy lives in Indy. I need a low power---[read inexpensive] lawyer in Indy to help collect this debt. If you know someone have them contact me or give me their number and I will contact them. Motordoc

2. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

PM Sent.

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

Value depends on your state, but try civil court (small claims); unless it's over $5 > 10,000. How much is involved? It's actually quite simple but takes some time. Find your local district court and call them. You get a form, fill out a statement with brief description and file with a fee. They will set a hearing date where you present your case. If they no-show, you win. Make sure you have all documents, photos, dates and signatures.

Now the hard part, collecting. If you have collateral you can hold it until they come around looking for it. For this reason you want to add interest at 2%/ month (minimum) when you go to court. If no collateral, you can put a lien on their house or other property in the county court. More time and fees. Collect when they sell the property. Some states do not let you garnish wages.

How do I know this? Just finished up an 8 month ordeal with a guy originally from Indiana. What's with you people? Started as a new client with prospective future working relationship. Unknown to me he was already circling the bowl as his mortgage went under and he was screwing people he had known for years. Able bodied and in his 30's, he just didn't want to work at anything except things of his own choosing. The first time was an out of state client, DC. It was even more involved as I had to go through the process, then transfer to the court in the other state, then have a sheriff deliver subpoena. He went to the house and the creep simply stated that he didn't live there. I had to call again and resend them. He finally came around and paid up, 2 1/2 years later. Welcome to the real world.

Sorry for the news, but good luck. Have had to go through all this twice in 31 years of business. You will find that the system is not set up for those of us who pay our bills, are honest and up front. The creeps have every out.

Best, JT

4. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

+1 on what J said. Call the court in the jurisdiction where the person lives and get the info. It may be online which is easier. If you can do it yourself in small claims/conciliation court you will probably save yourself some money. Most collection attorneys will work on a contingent fee plus office costs basis. Problem is that for a low dollar amount they will eat up what they can recover chasing the debtor all around trying to collect your debt or on court costs/filing fees. Do a gut check here, is this something that needs to be collected or are you just wanting to stick it to the guy who screwed you? If you really want this collected, spend the time to talk to a couple of locals in Indy and select the one who fits your needs. HJH

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Just because you are awarded a judgment does not mean you will ever collect on it.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Like shannon said, collecting is difficult. Bankruptcy is easy

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In our state:

First you get the judgement.

Then you docket it (and pay a fee)

Then if you know where his bank is you file for execution(and pay a fee)

If he has a business you can tap the till or take merchandise of like value. You need to bring an officer for that (and Pay a fee)

So when you go for a judgement you have to add that all up front or you won't get it.

But once you know the ropes you can get it. But you will run into closed accounts, other evasive maneuvers, etc.

Sucks to do business with deadbeats.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.